I'll never feel bad about hitting a tree again!

Phil Brooks

Posted by Donald Fry on 30/03/2016 17:42:02:

It is a fact that you hit what you would prefer to miss. When taught to ride a motorbike, it was explained why drain people (God curse them) put (lethal when wet) manhole covers in the centre of a bend. Thou shalt not look at them. Imagine a trajectory out of the bend, not including the cover, and go for it.

Yes, precisely - look at it and you hit it!

Geoff - you are obvioulsy not made as other men! Or maybe Mrs Geoff has re-programmed you!

BEB

Advert

It's called "target fixation".

A lot of motorbike accidents are caused by the rider being startled by a hazard on a bend, then concentrating on it so much that he runs into it.

It's explained in a lot of detail in the bikers bible - "A Twist of the Wrist" by Keith Code.

Here's a link to a Case Study

Edited By Gary Manuel on 30/03/2016 20:31:15

I have to point out a common misconception here, trees are not in fact magnetic, if that was the case they would have little effect on our models. What actually happens is that they warp the local gravitational field and as a result the change in gravity pulls our models in! This is now a proven fact as gravitational waves are now known to have been measured!

Shaunie.

The balsa in our models gets homesick and lonely. It wants nothing more than to be part of a tree again, so that's where it goes.

Despite my warnings about never letting one's model cross the silhouette of a tree, loads of my pupils insisted on finding out the hard way. I've lost count how many times I had to go and get the recovery gear - Two wind surfer masts and two roach (fishing) poles all cobbled together to give a 60 foot 'prodder'. It works too, even with a lump like a Hi Boy on the end.

A champagne cork with a bit of dayglow orange sticky back plastic on the end of the pole stops further model damage can be seen from the ground. Forks in the tree branches can be used to support the pole like a snooker rest.

Why is it though, that having retrieved the model, there's always someone who steps on the fragile roach pole as soon as its back on the ground?

New Years Day Club fly-in - demonstrating the Tactical Approach with the Hercules - straight and level at 150 feet, throttle back, 45 degree dive to the patch, level out and skim along six feet up - who left that one and only tree there! Most embarrassing, but fortunately foam planes mend easily.