Israeli Air Force A4 Skyhawk - Shalom

As I have a bit of time, somewhat remarkably I am starting to make some scale bits to fit under the fuselage.

I have made the hook to catch the cable on aircraft carriers as recommended by Phil out of balsa dowel, spruce and balsa sandwich for the front catch, and a piece of 1/4 inch ply for the rear hook hollowed out with a round permagrit file, and now glued together so it fits the contour of the base. I also inserted some 2mm wire pins to hold it on. Phil says however that it doesn't catch the heather.

I might even do a probe at the front.

I was wondering about a fuel filler probe but it would be too vulnerable - anyone any ideas?

So now just sealed with water based resin, then paint.

Well I was going flying anyway up Leek today, so I tried hard to finish it. I installed a magnetic switch from T9 Hobbysport, drilled a hole so one could see the blue on/off light in the side just above the wing.

To balance it on the C of G which is 155mm from the leading edge, I needed 2 and half penny weights, quite a lot really. considering Phil said he had to move his battery back because it was too nose heavy - not so me.

I adjusted the thows so that there was about 10mm on the elevator and about 15mm up and down on the ailerons. I dialled in about 20% expo and headed up the slope.

There was some good lift and about 25mph of wind which was good conditions.

When I got back I finished off the under fuselage scale details by adding hook for the aircraft carrier landings.

Nice job Peter. I think you'll find that the fuel probe is quite high on the fuselage, so should be out of harm's way. I'm considering using a plastic tube ( off an old kite) and gently warm the area to bend it to semi scale look.

Need to hurry up my build !!

Ade

I have started drawing panel lines on the surface using my 0.5mm felt tip marker. When I got it out I realised it had dried out a bit so I have ordered another one.

I used a tip I saw in a magazine a while ago namely a plastic flexible ruler which I got from The Works for 99p - works a treat and makes drawing straight lines over curved surfaces a doddle.

• 4 weeks later...

Goodness me, what an anorak I am becoming. I am started to get interested in instrument panels - worrying developement!

Andy Meade's amazing fuel probe arrived and I have done the dutiful trip to McDonald's for breakfast yesterday only to find they stop serving at 10.30am and thus I had to have a filet of fish - for breakfast I ask you!

Anyway I got home then realised I already had a stock of straws but they were blue, so I thought that white would cover better in paint.

So stuck them together with Superphatic - great stuff as it allows you to work with the sliding parts of the straw before it sets.

So first of all gave it a coat of white primer then painted on the colours. Strangely, the brown came out gloss whereas on the model, after spraying it came out matt. This is the phaff of having to repaint it once finished and in the bag. Also, I will have to make my radiator insulation bigger to fit the protrusion!

Just got back from the Lleyn so before the sandman comes, just got time to give you a revised analysis of this model's flying ability.

The maiden was up Leek in not so good conditions, and caused Phil some unecessary anxiety which is understandable from a designer.

To cut a long story short, I flew the A4 in amazing conditions which were just right for it - 15 to 20mph on the Westerley slope called Annie's place. It flew amazingly, with slick passes at some speed. Against the blue sea the camoflauge stood out well. It would keep up with JP's which is a credit to its speed.

The roll rate is phenomenal. I thought at one point it was my favourite PSS model but because it doesn't loop very easily, I don't think it beats the JP - close run thing though.

Really enjoyed flying it so get yours finished ready for September when we hold the fly in at the Orme.

AND it won best flown Jet by democratic vote, so it must fly reasonably I reckon.

Yeah Chris' photos really capture it well in action - looks great. I was delighted to see you enjoying its spritely performance Pete - like you I hope this inspires many who are left with a bit of work to do to get them finished in time for the September Mass Build meet!

I too got some photos of your model in action, I will add here shortly