LARGE SCALE "electric" Hawker Tempest with BENDINI SOUND SYSTEM

Excellent flying and sound. I think I'm right in saying this is being flown and was built by the very talented John Ranson. I think I'm also right in saying he built a very nice Hornet, again with the sound system, a few years ago.

Steve

Edited By Essjay on 13/05/2016 16:31:00

Posted by Colin Leighfield on 13/05/2016 08:48:58:

What a brilliant model and quite a feat capturing the unique "ripping" sound of the 24 cylinder Napier Sabre. Will it ever be possible to get adequate volume of sound this way though? It was said to be a very noisy beast.

I have a MRRCSounds system and can testify it is extremely loud - up to 90 Db! The issue though is that the sound is a) very directional (though some of that is now being addressed by the use of transducers rather than speakers in the latest systems - these are particularly effective in foam models) and b) dies away much faster with range than an IC engine.

I'm not quite sure why the second point occurs (maybe it is just a bi-product of the directionality?), but it's definitely the case and I'm not sure it will be easy to solve without the sound systems becoming too loud at close ranges. Would love to be proved wrong though!