Cambria Capstan - Painting Fuselage

Just picked up a Cambria Capstan kit after searching for one for ages.

Had one of these when I was a kid but it ended up going to the tip when my parents cleared their loft and I have regretted it ever since.

From memory it had a painted fuselage, what primer/paint do people use these days.

Thanks

Advert

A blast from the past there............a sloping buddy of mine had a CC and if I remember correctly it wasn't a lightweight by any means and needed a fair blow just to keep it up. He used to catapult it up on a bungee as well and race the parachute down to the deck, often scattering the assembled onlookers in the attempt...........would be frowned upon today of course.

For durability you can't beat a very light glass/paint job - with care you can keep the weight down to a minimum. Auto rattle cans seem to do the job OK.

Hi Ramsay,

I would apply a layer of very light glass cloth. I would use an acrylic resin, because it is easy to apply, and lighter than the trad. two part. It certainly adds strength, and gives the basis of an excellent finish. After that, i'd use a rattle can of high build primer, rubbing down with wet, wet and dry paper between coats so that most of the weight is rubbed off.

Finish it with colour car spray.

The end result depends on how much effort you are willing to give, rubbing down between coats. "you don't build up to a good finish, you rub down" a grue of finish once said

ernie

• 2 months later...