dx9 problems

phil arena 1

Loads of people use (various) spekies at the two clubs I am a member of. mostly DX6 but some 9's - at a rough guess probably about 50% of the flyers are speky based - we have had about 3 unexplained crashes - 1 on Futaba, 1 on Spektrum and 1 on Taranis - not saying those are all radio faults, just that we could not identify a apparent reason but its pretty well spread out across all the brands as far as I can see.......

Factor in that most new flyers seem to start on Specktrum and I would expect to see more crashes due to poor installation than other brands but its not apparent to me from what I have seen

Advert

There is no denying that the first DX8s and the AR500 RX were poor products that required recalls, but what manufacturer has a perfect record in this respect? Futaba had the 0000 GUID issue, early Taranii had plenty of issues with QC on the pots and sticks, FrSky made a mess initially of their EU compliant firmware following the ETSI changes in 2015, early Multiplex Profis had stick issues and now there are reports of Jeti reliability issues after recent firmware updates. Nobody has a perfect record, and no amount of money buys you a true bulletproof solution. The best way to achieve reliability is therefore to install your system of choice as per instructions, check it thoroughly and regularly and utilise telemetry and logging to validate RF performance in the air.

The sad fact about crashes is we seldom actually know the real reason - most flyers simply do not have the tools to capture empirical data or the time and skill to do a forensic AAIB style investigation to arrive at a definitive root cause.

As there are a multitude of things that can go wrong compounded by many things that can impact us on a transitory basis I find claims "that it was definitely not pilot error pretty hard to believe; looking back at my crashes, all but 1 of them were without doubt caused by pilot error the other probably was been but I am not sure.

I also keep in mind that in full size aviation the percentage of incidents caused by non-human error are dwarfed by the incident rate associated with the squidgy pink organic things involved - and that includes extremely experienced pilots of both prop and jet aircraft too

In short I find it hard to believe that any of the mature products or the major brands have significantly different failure rates - yet I fully accept the once someone looses confidence in their kit its very hard to regain it and changing to a different brand may be the best way out of the dilema

I'm with Ben on this one and not sitting on the fence. Just recently got my Dx7 back from HH. Said they couldn't find any fault but replaced rf board for peace of mind. Not been a problem since but it is early days yet. Would suggest op send the tx to H H before it causes more grief....g

Posted by gliggsy on 17/05/2016 18:07:18:

I'm with Ben on this one and not sitting on the fence. Just recently got my Dx7 back from HH. Said they couldn't find any fault but replaced rf board for peace of mind. Not been a problem since but it is early days yet. Would suggest op send the tx to H H before it causes more grief....g

I often wonder whether these RF board replacements are simply a commercial decision on HH's part as to how they run their operation. After all, if they send it back to you unchanged stating "no fault found, check your install and power" you are pretty likely to desert them; if they replace the RF board for free most customers will probably give it another go. That RF board is pretty cheap if it retains you as a long term customer, even if HH are convinced there is really no fault with the TX/RX.

Edited By MattyB on 17/05/2016 18:33:44

I have a dx9 works great but on most of my models i have fitted a telemetry unit (TM100).When flying the trannie will notify via voice if on board battery voltage drops below 4v also warns if receiver gets any holds ie loss of signal. will tell me if trannie battery getting low. I have found the low voltage alarm for the receiver is useful for warning about tight or over stretching servo to surfaces setup. Around £30 for peace of mind. no reason why you couldnt buy just 1 and transfer between models.

Solid state electronics has become very reliable. The weak links are the mechanical interfaces of the sticks and connecting sockets, but even these are becoming a rare cause of failure. The absolute majority of bin bag models has to be pilot error, including installation error, and chemical energy problems in the power supply.

The 20 second failsafe thing circulated at my club, and originated from the newsletter of Phoenix Model Products .

This was transferred into a communication to all our club members.

My response was -

" There's no need to go to extreme lengths like disconnecting the battery!

If you go into the menu on the DX9 for the model you are testing the failsafe on, and scroll down to 'System Setup' and click on it, you will get a warning that proceeding will disable RF link i.e. drop the radio link. Do that, and the failsafe should operate straight away. Click back to 'Main Screen' when done and the link will re-establish and come out of failsafe."

It's the method I use, and the failsafe operates as it should, within a second or so.

I have no doubt that some people have had problems with Spektrum kit, but I've had a DX7 from the first batch that came into the UK, and now a DX9, both used with Spektrum and Orange RXs and have never had even a hint of a radio problem in all kinds of fixed wing and helis.

Oh - and my car is coming back from the bodyshop today after being hit by a model that had lost control - It was using Hitec kit.

Edited By David P Williams on 18/05/2016 10:44:11