You guys aren't going to believe this!

You never know boys, you never know. We live in hope of course, BUT, politics and folk are a queer mix, especially with noise etc, and no doubt the future will bring "numbers allowed to assemble " etc laws. I sincerely hope not, but there are already rumblings in high places regarding this, sooh lets wait and see. Fancy a protest march anyone? Best wishes , Jack

Advert

Rob Crewe wrote (see)
In an attempt to screw the lid back onto the can of worms I have opened,.RPV,s have been around for some time, I am willing to bet that EMP weapons have been developed and are probably already in place to protect sensitive targets.

Thats rather like believing that in the event of a nuclear attack hiding under the kicthen table is going to save you and your family. 

This is reason the USA military regularly mess around with the accuracy of the GPS system. It wouln't do for Osama's Wot 4 to be as potentially accurate as a Tommahawk missile would it?

I have thought a little about Peeves vision of the future. I am not sure it is what I want.

A plane that does not seem to need skill to keep intact, because the computer takes care of that aspect. I accept that I need to track the plane , monitor its orientation and speed and to bring it back to land.

I suspect that Peevie knows that the the servos that are mentioned, already exist to some extent in various guises, the memory metal that can be reshaped by heat into another geometry ,is one.

I am not sure that more noise is required , however real, quite flight is my aim and vision.

I also have fears for the future regarding our liberty to fly models, whilst the present "freedom loving government" is in power. That is, as long as you do as you are told, and we approve. I find it typical of the government, who berate us about alcoholic consumption, to have increased the expenditure on official alcoholic beverages by a factor of 3, from the previous lot.  

Erfolg

Maybe I overestimated the rate of change when I dated my imagined future in 2038, like David says there's not much in the model shop today which would be entirely alien to the modeller of 1978.  With 2.4GHz and it's tiny aerials, small powerful servos and lighter powertrains it's been evolution rather than revolution.  Mind you, the movie "I, Robot" is set in 2035 and that has plenty of revolutionary technology

Ultra Capacitors look promising Frank, I wonder how many years before they are developed into mainstream products.  I wonder how their energy density compares to lipos, ie. how much lighter an equivalent capacity unit would be.

Erfolg I've not seen the servos you mention, they sound interesting though.

If those capacitors can be made they will be. there is always a market that evolves to "need" a technology.

If they can make them then someone, be it power tools, laptop batteries electric vehicles will find a niche to start the commercial need. 

Of course, you will no longer be able to fly a powered model in these times. Glider guiding is the best you can hope for. Once the Wot 4 start raining down on Buck house the writing will have been on wall for wat too long

So any more ideas for future RC model technology guys? 

How about a covering material incorporating electronically programmable pixels, so when you build your ARTF ME-109 it comes in a standard E-4 Luftwaffe colour scheme, but next month, free on the cover of RCM&E there's a Finnish ME-109 colour scheme ready to load into your plane....  If you're willing to pay for the premium subscription service you can download the exclusive G-2/R2 scheme and be the envy of the field....   I think we might be waiting beyond 2038 for such frills though.

I think you are telling me there will not be much modelling.

Buy your minature plane, with its intuitive user friendly interface, select the flight pattern you wish to see executed from the menu.

The biggest issue is waiting for the authorisation from the "Ministry of Permitted Recreational and Social Inclusivness". After submitting your carbon coupons which proof your entitlement too own a minature, and having made your £1000 payment to compensate for environmental damage.

Of course you will have to take public transport and then walk to the permitted area, unless that is you are a party member or can demonstrate social need, then all aspects of  obtaining and flying a minature will be provided by the Government.

Erfolg

Eric

Or I could just keep practising with my model flight simulator. For me it is just a means to an end. It is about as much fun!

want to be in control of my model, if it crashes, it is my fault, when it performs well, it is in no small measure due to my contribution.

Peevies vision of the future, would leave as frustrated and as interested as when I see other guys flying there models.

But I am old, I like building my own models. Although my helicopters are all ready built, and I do derive pleasure from flying them, as far as I am concerned the physical aspects of the model are the accomplishments of the manufactures and assemblers (unfortunatly, probably young children and woman) in the Far East .

I am very happy with the present level of technology.

Erfolg

Eric Bray wrote (see)
Erfolg, will it be necessary to physically go to the airstrip? With a camera in the aircraft, all you would need to do is log onto your 'rented' model, from your personal pocketputer, and via your optical correcting eyewear, you could fly anywhere. As the a/c is solar powered, the carbon footprint would be negligible. When you become bored, log off, and the a/c takes itself to the nearest strip and parks up, ready for the next user.

I like your thinking there Eric, rather than just assume that the technology will change but the way we use our planes will remain the same, you've speculated that the technology could fundamentally change the way we fly and use our planes.  Nice lateral step. 

From the pilot's perspective though, how is this different from simply logging onto a computer to fly a conventional flight simulator?  Surely by the time technology progresses to this point the computer graphics will be so good that a simulated image is indistinguishable from a live video feed on a real model plane.  And if it's indistinguishable, who's going to pay the premium necessary to fly a real model?  Flying a simulator you can fly anywhere for free, flying a model you have to stay within a safe zone of operation and contribute to the model's costs.

In fact who will fly these planes, modellers?  Doubtful.  Like Erflog says, they will want to see their planes in action, not be inside the plane.  They will want to continue to exercise the skills they have developed through the years to be able to control the path of their plane from a third party viewpoint. 

Maybe the answer is that in this technologically superior future, model planes will be flown remotely as you envisage but only when there's a crowd to see them flown.  Maybe model flight will be transformed into a mainstream spectator sport  and the airshow display pilots of the future will be ground based, mingling with the crowd.  It could be that the costs and risks of putting a pilot in a display aircraft and letting them take off will be prohibitive and energy rationing might dictate a maximum size limit for planes, so the full size airshow dies out and the model show becomes its successor.  Military planes are already developing along these lines, small unmanned drones controlled from a ground based command centre many miles away.

It could be that the model flying centres you predict happen and that the sport becomes a hugely popular spectacle, drawing huge crowds and with TV coverage to rival F1 today.  The top pilots could be the sports stars of the future, an elite who are paid billions.  The planes, heavily sponsored and developed by major international corporations, being well out of the reach of the humble aeromodeller, whose insistence on flying planes he built himself whilst standing on the ground in view of the plane marks him out as an eccentric. 

I don't think I like this predict-the-future thread any more... I like things how they are for now

What has happened to things to re-cycle .Do I go out on my monocycle leaving a long thin carbon tyre print? looking in what they called  "skips" for redundant "mdf"  to find a way of enjoying what I've always done ?Must increase my fusion panel configuration (on the quiet) in case H&S smell the emissions  now that we ve had the coldest weather in decades due to global (equatorial) warming

Very grumpy Myron Sharpening his knife up to ward off vandals! Now I have graffiti on my van! &&& I've got a hatchet with me as well !

Dateline 2038.....somewhere in se Nebraska, USA

I'll be 90 this year and still enjoy flying the way it used to be. My friend Mark (almost 92) and I bought a large supply of parts and pieces back in 08-09 for retirement fun. We're strictly old school with no VR items except in winter when it's too cold to fly outside. We even built a couple of high-revving glow engines in Mark's machine shop over the winter.

We build from scratch or the occasional kit ( we squirreled a bunch away years ago). In fact we might just finish up a couple of Hurricanes from the "old" Tony Nijhuis plan.

Somehow civilization seems to have bypassed us here. We do wonder how much things will change in another thirty years though..........we keep hearing about plans to pave the rock roads in this still rural area. Occasionally someone will ask what we're doing with those little airplanes- we tell them we're living our youth and why don't they join us?

meanwhile, back in 2008.......Harold