Which servo for a ic 2.5Lbs model

Hi ,

I am currently building a ic model plane which will hopefully come out at around two and a half pounds in weight and i am looking at my box of servos and can not decide on which to use.

I am going to use a standard futaba 148 for the Ailerons, and a Tower Pro SG92r for the engine, but for the Elevator and rudder,

I have the choice of 1 Hitec astrocraft hs100 which i have no idea of its spec other than it works.

1 Hitec HS-82mg . new

Or two Emax ES08 MA II. Only used twice

Which do you think will be up to the task or should i buy new .

Steve

Advert

5lb IC model? 35-40?

ES08 - aren't they 15gm nylon gear micro servos? Nope. Might do for a twin servo aileron setup but I wouldn't use them. Keep them for a 300W electric model.

HS82MG - 3.4Kg.Cm so that would be ok. I'd put it on the elevator.

HS100 - if that's the one I'm thinking of it's old and slim with a small gear train. Nope, though I think I've got one on the throttle of a Scallywag fun-fly.

Looks like you need at least a rudder servo Steve, if you have room in the fuselage I'd just go for a standard size basic servo such as Futaba 148, 3001, 3003 or similar from your favourite brand manufacturer.

Sorry, I thought it said 2.5Kg, anyone point me in the direction of Specsavers? Please? Anyone there? Steve, please ignore my previous drivel.

If it's 2.5 lb then the ES08s would be ok.

John, I had some ES08s without the 'M' suffix that were nylon gear. That was back in the early GiantCod days. Certainly ES08M* would be ok. I'd probably use the HS82MG on rudder as that seems to get the most knocks and the 08 on elevator depending on the style of model.

Denis, with small servos I prefer MG as being a clumsy whatsit I occasionally catch something on a door jamb, on which occasions nylon micro servo gears shed teeth too easily. I am happy to accept a couple of grams extra on a small model.

What's the model Steve? One point to bear in mind is that a 148 is only rated at just over 3kg.cm of torque despite it's size while the ES08s are something like 2kg.cm. Seeing as the 148 will be adequate in a 7lb 60 powered sports model it is in theory overkill on a 2 1/2lb model, but that does depend on the style of model. It wouldn't be enough for even a small 3D model but will be more than enough for a sports model pottering around. For example my 7lb 84" Eros vintage cabin model only has a mini servo on the elevator.

While the ES08s would probably be fine (I used then on a 350W Easystreet which was quite nippy) I'd feel happier buying another HB225 or something of similar spec for an IC model. IIRC the ES08s don't have mounting grommets, which is fine with the low levels of vibration from electric power but old habits would make me use something with rubber grommets in the mountings for a real motor laugh