WOT4XL Repair Help Needed With Oracover Colour ID

Terry Walters

Hi all,

Just finishing a repair to the front fuz bottom and u/c due to a pilot induced stall on a dead stick landing. Having a problem deciding which Oracover green it is. Anyone know for sure? There are several 'greens' on the site and there are perhaps three it might be. As a visit to the LMS is a minimum of about 100 miles............... you get the idea. Any help appreciated. Couple of pics below

Terry

ripwot004_b.jpg

wot4xllrg.jpg

Advert

Posted by Bob Cotsford on 03/06/2016 09:31:28:

All I know is that it wasn't the one Steve Webb sent me when I ripped the U/C out of mine a couple of years ago! Unfortunately the rolls are not marked so I can't even tell you which one it's not. Sorry.

Thanks Bob!! That's made me smile! At least you know the problem LOL! smiley

Cheers

Terry

Posted by onetenor on 03/06/2016 09:47:39:

Ask a few MS to send samples Simples

Good idea but unfortunately it's asking a lot as I'm in France - I can buy Oracover here or from Germany via internet but I guess someone out there knows the exact coulour. Thanks anyway - appreciate the suggestion.

Terry

Posted by Pete B - Moderator on 03/06/2016 10:42:44:

I'd hazard a guess that you might not get any closer than this one, Terry...

Good try Pete - you're on the same German site as me - you can buy by the metre rather than a minimum 2 metre roll. You've picked one of those that I had selected but it also looks more like this and particularly like this.

I'll need counselling at the end of this.........indecision

Happy days...

Terry

Hi Just had the same problem with te same colour. Checked at LMS for solarfilm and oracover colours without success . The LMS phoned ripmax and were told they could get the covering but none was in stock and it would take weeks to arrive with no idea how lomg ? My LMS had a similar problem with another wot model  Orange covering a little while ago . When pressed for a time frame for delivery the "customer Service person " got quite shirty ! Poor planning and attitude to customers simple request ? . The original covering is pretty rubbish  . I opted for an Oracover green that was nearest , I believe its the same colour thatPete B Moderator posted , not the same colour but near enogh ,and replaced all of the green on the fus. It doesn't look out of place and only really notices were the cowling which is a richer green buts up against it . Hope you get it sorted.

Edited By Engine Doctor on 03/06/2016 16:08:03

Posted by Engine Doctor on 03/06/2016 16:01:56:

Hi Just had the same problem with te same colour. Checked at LMS for solarfilm and oracover colours without success . The LMS phoned ripmax and were told they could get the covering but none was in stock and it would take weeks to arrive with no idea how lomg ? My LMS had a similar problem with another wot model ÂÂÂ Orange covering a little while ago . When pressed for a time frame for delivery the "customer Service person " got quite shirty ! Poor planning and attitude to customers simple request ? . The original covering is pretty rubbish ÂÂÂ . I opted for an Oracover green that was nearest , I believe its the same colour thatPete B Moderator posted , not the same colour but near enogh ,and replaced all of the green on the fus. It doesn't look out of place and only really notices were the cowling which is a richer green buts up against it . Hope you get it sorted.

Hi ED thanks for all that - Sorry you couldn't get the exact colour. I don't suppose you recall the actual colour that was identified as the correct colour. At them moment I'm leaning towards this colour which, on the computer screen, looks the nearest.

Terry

World models do colour codes  (look under coverings tab)for their planes. They use Toughlon and Litetex. The advantage of world models is you might find a stockist and look at the plane in the box with your swatch.

Does anyone know who makes the Foss planes? Must be out East somewhere.

Edited By cymaz on 03/06/2016 17:24:50

Edited By cymaz on 03/06/2016 17:26:25

HI all,

Thanks for you help - for future 'events' requiring repairs the green covering is:

ORACOVER royal mint, 600mm , # 28-043-010  ( the final 2 digits relate only to the length of roll it is cut from 10 = 10 metres so 02 means 2 metre roll)

Cheers

Terry

Edited By Terry Walters on 09/06/2016 10:11:49

Hi Terry . Thanks for the up-date. I found that green a day or so ago after a first Ic flight for the model..Duh ! and it looks like a good match. regarding the exact colour , Ripmax couldn't help ! The Oracover I eventually used was found in my box of left over covering so the slight colour variation is even less noticable smiley.

I was given the model after test flying it for a club mate who had converted it to EDF power ! Yes EDF . It flew OK for a short while and the motor suddenly cut out . When he recovered it we had a go at finding the fault and there was a loud bang inside the fuz and clouds of black smoke came out . He very quickly disconnected the battery and the fire fortunately went out. The speed controller , 120 amp, had exploded .

https://youtu.be/e6D98N8TJqw

The fire was unfortunately not recorded but the plane now lives and flys again with a YS 140 up front .

Edited By Engine Doctor on 09/06/2016 10:46:06

Posted by Engine Doctor on 09/06/2016 10:42:14:

Hi Terry . Thanks for the up-date. I found that green a day or so ago after a first Ic flight for the model..Duh ! and it looks like a good match. regarding the exact colour , Ripmax couldn't help ! The Oracover I eventually used was found in my box of left over covering so the slight colour variation is even less noticable smiley.

I was given the model after test flying it for a club mate who had converted it to EDF power ! Yes EDF . It flew OK for a short while and the motor suddenly cut out . When he recovered it we had a go at finding the fault and there was a loud bang inside the fuz and clouds of black smoke came out . He very quickly disconnected the battery and the fire fortunately went out. The speed controller , 120 amp, had exploded .

https://youtu.be/e6D98N8TJqw

The fire was unfortunately not recorded but the plane lives and flys again.

Ha ha!! The Brit spirit of enterprise is alive and well! Looked a bit underpowered to me and pilot did well to fly it and recover from the motor cut. Thanks for that ED made my day laugh Well worth a look folks!

Well done you then! LOL! I thought the principle was to be applauded and truly worthy of recogniton. I did have the sound up and was hooked!

Next laugh - forget what I said above re - colour - now I've actually started covering up the damage it is not identical after all blush!!

It is so close tho' and as the Wottie was bought by me on a dark January evening from the back of a car in the rain round the back of a cinema in a french town 60 miles away for about £25 for the airframe I can't complain. It's probably at least third hand and I've had a lot of fun flying it all last year! I think it is 'sun bleached' so I'll never get a match LOL!

Cheers

Terry

• 3 months later...

Hi Terry, like the uniform! That takes me back to 261 SQ Guildford, many years ago! BUT brought a smile to my face... Where have the years gone!

I too have made the purchase of a WOT4XL, and love it, still in the build, ie, Saito 120 up front, causing me no end of hassle as the throttle linkage for the OS ( as in the instructions) are perfect alignment with the servo tray... BUT I was amazed that the aileron linkages as supplied are too short.... Had to buy some M3 rod, job done.

Spoken to Chris Foss, ( really nice guy) who said to complain to RIPMAX direct, as he does not have any 'say' over the production of the WOT 4XL.

I found the comments about 'glassing' the landing gear interior tray, providing additional strength .. Think I will do that.

Any other issues/fixes you have found??

Very best, Nigel.