Weston Park 2016

Advert

I don't normally get involved in these types of chats, but here's my bit. I've been going to model shows for over 35 years, ( and flew at a few in years long gone by ) so its fair to say I have probably seen it all before.

Traffic queuing was a big problem this year - not really anyone's fault, three gates manned as usual, so nowt to be done about it. Ive been in a lot worse queues over the years, including aforementioned wimbledon, motor racing etc.

£12 entry, yes a bit steep if doing both days as a famijly, but hey, its 2012 peeps, and I doubt there's much profit in it for any of those involved. Like any consumerism, if you can't afford it, then dont buy it.

Plenty of parking, not half bad toilets, enough seating for coffee when required, food trader prices ? - been like that at all shows - of any type, for donkey's years. Too expensive ? - then take your own. Simple.

Dave Bishop.... well he's Marmite aint he - for some odd reason I like him, perhaps its nostalgia, after all he's been here and most other UK model shows for longer than I have, and for better or worse, he WILL be missed when he croaks gawd bless.

Flying display - I've seen better in previous years ( full size glider was deffo better last year ). but thats just my opinion, cos I like certain types of models and flying styles, as we all do. M/Rs dont really do it for me or helis in all honesty, but lots of people love em, and especially younger  people, who we need to encourage to participate. Tthere was plenty of variety, and the super stuff at £12K+ is not seen at the average club patch, so its nice to see it in action.Some lovely flying by some folk, well displayed, safe, and smooth. A great mix of stuff, which is partly what makes this a great hobby.

We took our own food, but bought a few coffees. Met up with plenty of mates, had a great social barby Saturday evening with friends, flew a couple of little models into the evening time, lots of banter and chat with friends old and new, whats not to like.

Weather wasn't great, but stayed mainly dry - hey ho, its the UK and we should just get on with it. Hate it too hot anyway.

Couldnt find genuine gold-N-rods anywhere, so bought some cheaper alternatives from SLEC, a few other impulse buys of small items, like tools etc, but no big boxes for me these days at shows - I'm afraid Im an online shopper mainly, or Steve Webbs if out and about.

Didn't see a HK stand this year? Not misssed at all BTW, justy commenting... and sad to see John Emms Puffin tucked away at the back with the sunglasses and dream catchers lot.

I enjoyed it, and my fiance did too. I'll hopefully be there next year god willing, and the year after........ etc.

Edited By Tim Mackey on 20/06/2016 09:32:26

This was my forth year at Weston and the second time I've taken the whole family and we still love it! Plenty for them to see and do besides the flying and no complaints from them either. They thoroughly enjoyed it.

Nice to chat with friends I normally only see at fly in's etc, picked up something I fancied at the swap meet (just need to find somewhere to keep it now) and saw some lovely scale models being flown very nicely. I must admit I'm not into the 3D flying or quad racing for that matter but I'm always impressed with Martin Pickering. He always seems to fly to entertain the crowd rather than showing what he can do!

Gripes? None really! I'd like to see something like a fun fly limbo slot or similar and the ring of fire needed more variety rather than the Night Visionairs but that's more of a feature for later in the year.

Agree with you Tim. Been going for many years and you can tune out the commentary but hes a bit of a national treasure now - and hes British dont you know! Noticed the full size glider wasnt ledded up this year butthe fireworks on Saturday night were awesome. Camping prices still good, great camping neighbors, wife loved it as ever even tho shes not that mobile these days. 67 now but I'll be back next year, great aeromodeller in the sky permitting. Gteat job Wrekin.

DB used to commentate at LMA shows back in the 90's but gradually they dispensed with his services and use an LMA chap for no cost, so I guess from a financial perspective its ideal, especially as the LMA is a small organisation.

That said, DB is a showman who entertains the crowds...its because he's British you know yes

I have no strong views about DB either way but I do well remember a show at Rufforth once where the weather was so bad most pilots didn't want to fly and there was a gap of about 15 minutes where there was nothing in the air. DB took it in his stride and never stopped talking and entertaining the crowd with a mixture of facts, anecdotes and crowd participation. For that 15 minutes he carried the whole show.

That's why he is good and worth whatever he gets paid