E-Flite Radian XL

Advert

OVERVIEW

Ask any of the thousands of pilots who have flown one. Radian™motor gliders are the sailplanes of choice if you want a quick and easy way to experience the thrill of RC soaring or relax with a quick flight. They are so easy to fly, even pilots with no soaring experience have been able to master the art of riding thermals after just a few flights.

The giant E-Flite® Radian XL 2.6m motor glider adds a whole new dimension of soaring excitement to the Radian line while staying true to its heritage with simple elevator/rudder/throttle/spoiler controls.

The wing, which spans just over 8 ½ feet (102 inches) tip to tip, has been designed to provide superb thermal-grabbing capabilities while minimizing drag for maximum endurance. When it’s time to return to Earth, its fully-proportional, retractable spoilers will allow you to precisely manage your descent and use less area to land.

The E-flite team designed the Radian XL motor glider with a flying horizontal stabilizer for better pitch control. Unlike a fixed-position horizontal stabilizer with a hinged elevator, the entire stabilizer rotates up or down to provide extra aerodynamic force. The result is a big glider with superb pitch response at every speed.

Putting this massive flying machine together couldn’t be easier. All you need is a few minutes and a Phillips-head screwdriver. The bolt-together wing comes in three pieces – a centre section with spoilers and two outer sections. The 2-piece, full-flying elevator slides into the tail and bolts together.

This combination gives the model an impressive power-to-weight ratio that translates into exhilarating launch performance. The lightweight airframe also makes the motor remarkably efficient at altitude so you can spend more time hunting for thermals.

The AS3X technology built into the Spektrum™ AR636A receiver helps give the model an incredibly stable, locked-in feel in the air. This smooth, precise response makes for much more enjoyable flying experience, especially on windy days.

KEY FEATURES

• Big and easy to fly
  • Efficient 2.6-meter polyhedral wing with fully-proportional spoilers
  • Full-Flying horizontal stabilizer for superb pitch control
  • Assembles and disassembles in minutes
  • Easy to transport and store
  • Powerful, efficient brushless motor
  • Constructed of durable, lightweight Z-Foam™ material
  • The precision and stability of AS3X® technology
  • Requires a 5+ channel Spektrum™ DSMX®/DSM2® transmitter, sold separately
  • Requires a 3S 3200mAh LiPo battery with an EC3 connector and charger (sold separately)

SPECIFICATION

Wingspan: 2.6m (102 in)
Length: 1.4m (59.6 in)
Wing Area: 61.05 Sq Dm (946.5 Sq In)
Flying Weight: 2.25 Kg (79.5 oz)
Motor Size: BL 10 1250Kv
ESC: 40A Brushless
Receiver: DSMX®/DSM2® with AS3X® Technology
Recommended Battery: 3200mAh 3S LiPo with EC3™ Connector
Required Radio: 5+ Channel
Experience Level: Intermediate
Recommended Environment: Outdoor
Assembly Required: Yes
Approx. Assembly Time: Less than 1 Hour

Edited By MattyB on 23/06/2016 15:35:45

First independent flight report from the RCGroups thread...

"We maidened my Radian XL this morning. Conditions, clear blue sky, 70 degrees F, no wind. Flew it first with an old 3200mAh battery that I had (it was a little puffed, so I think it is on its way out). Started at 12.6V.

Takeoff was uneventful, although it does feel pretty hefty when you toss it. But it climbed out nicely at about 2/3 throttle. We had centered the control surfaces prior to takeoff and it ended up needing a few clicks of up elevator for power off glide.

It glides forever. Any concerns about it being too heavy went out the window immediately. It is very stable and friendly feeling. You do need to use significant power to climb (we had calm air, this was 6:30AM).

We also had a Heron and a 1st gen PZ Radian there for comparison, and the Radian XL was the favorite of all four guys who flew it. Not to disparage the PZ Raidan or the Heron, but the RXL was just that much nicer flier.

We brought it down for the first landing with the spoilers after testing them at altitude. Mostly when you click them on the nose drops a little and it starts to descend faster, but it is pretty subtle... doesn't upset the airplane at all.

Came in smooth with the spoilers and didn't use much of our runway (large paved parking lot). This is a very easy, friendly flier in all respects.

After the first flight (with four different guys taking a turn) the old 3200 was down to 11.7 so I put it on the charger and put in a 2200mAh 30C 3s battery, as far forward as it would go. The CG moved from about 91mm to 97mm... not much of a change at all. The plane flew fine with the 2200 as well. It is happy with either battery, with not really much difference we could feel.

I have a couple more 3200 batteries on order, as the one we used today is not that healthy. I think I will generally fly it with 3200s.

Very very happy with the airplane!"

• 1 month later...

There is a guy on the RCGroups thread linked above who is having a lot of success using this as an FPV thermal ship - there are quite a few FPV videos being posted too. The powertrain though is clearly wrong (motor too high in Kv) and people have found a large amount of dead weight installed upfront in order to give a needlessly far forward CG.

Posted by Steve Colman on 21/08/2016 12:38:26:

This is also on my list for a possible FPV ship.

Would like to hear how you go with yours Mark a. Good luck. Keep us updated please.

Steve.

Will do Steve i'm really looking forward to some nice slow relaxed gliding.

Mark.

Posted by Julian Edgecombe on 21/08/2016 19:28:41:

for those of you who have this glider, this notice was sent out recently here in Canada.

http://www.e-fliterc.com/Products/Support.aspx?ProdID=EFL5550#prodContent

Not sure if this applies in the UK, but worthy of note?

Thanks for the heads up Jules I will be checking it but I think it was only the first production batch that was effected.

Chris and I both maidened our Radians today. Chris flew his first and it flew very well mine needed a bit of trimming but was flying well on the second flight. I would advise everyone who has one to check all the glued joints etc as my port elevator came loose from its plastic retainer, spotted before first flight it was glued back in place and all was well. All in all a good very easy to fly big glider and I found the AS3X stabilization system non intrusive.

Edited By Mark a on 26/08/2016 18:28:52

Flew the XL again today and I must say what a stable platform it is it just seems to hang there in the sky. With fingers off the sticks you can turn and have a chat turn back and its more or less where you left it. The spoilers are a great help when landing especially when the wind is gusting.

Edited By Mark a on 30/08/2016 20:11:19

Was flying with Mark today. I had 2 flights and particularly on the second flight I got some lift and shot up to a dot in the sky. After 20 minutes and a sore neck I decided to pop the spoilers out and sown it came.

One of the best models I've flown. Well worth £140

Posted by ChrisB on 30/08/2016 22:52:26:

Was flying with Mark today. I had 2 flights and particularly on the second flight I got some lift and shot up to a dot in the sky. After 20 minutes and a sore neck I decided to pop the spoilers out and sown it came.

You got a discount then smileyyes

Posted by onetenor on 31/08/2016 01:13:56:
Posted by ChrisB on 30/08/2016 22:52:26:

You got a discount then smileyyes

£143 from Nexus at Elvington.

• 2 months later...

I decided not to bother with this one after it became clear the first batch at least had some structural and powertrain issues, but there are plenty in the RCGroups thread (link in third post on page 1) flying it without AS3X. The consensus (unsurprisingly given it's a big, stable RES bird) is that it flies just fine without.

Edited By MattyB on 27/11/2016 22:42:12

Posted by ChrisB on 28/11/2016 08:16:40:
I got mine at Elvington this year. Not sure if its an early model or not. I suspect not as it has the sticker identifying the tech update. Whichever, they are superb gliders and I shall be trying a slope or two with it as well.

The release in the EU was behind the US, and was delayed after the issues were found, so in theory the structural issues should have been addressed before delivery. However some of the later models in the US still had issues according to RCGroups posters, so it is well worth going over your model carefully before flight anyway using the HH service bulletins as a guide.