E-Flite Radian XL

Advert

Posted by ted hughes on 14/01/2017 14:37:01:

Where is Greenacrers?

ted...don't go...the lads there are too friendly and you'll want to go a again....... you'll fall under the spell of the club........ plus there's a watering hole/saloon at the top of the place..that sell's firewater etc.........all bad..... teeth 2

ken Anderson...ne...1........ stay away from G/acre's dept

Posted by Piers Bowlan on 14/01/2017 15:54:09:

Here, Walsall (North of Watford!). I should point out that I am in no way connected with them but they put on excellent, well organised and friendly fly-ins in the Summer. They are also very central.

I didn't know there were places North of Watford. Only joking.

Edited By ted hughes on 14/01/2017 20:10:02

Posted by Alps Elyule on 22/12/2016 12:54:31:

Hi, took delivery of mine yesterday.

A new batch has just arrived in the UK. Seems like a lot of plane for £139.

To be honest, I's not sure if i've over stretched myself though, I am a fairly new pilot so still in 2 minds whether to send this back and change for the standard Radian 2m BNF or be brave and stay with this! I really dont know.

I would be very interested to hear your experiences with the RXL, please feel free to share with me, those of you that have flown it, whats the stall like?

Cheers

Stay with it.

A 100inch plane for that price is worth hanging on to.

Posted by Piers Bowlan on 10/01/2017 16:41:01:

I too have just got one of these from SMC, seemed daft not to at the price. I was a bit undecided whether to get the BNF version as it's not a lot more but I have a spare JR RD721 so I thought I would use that and not bother with the stabilisation. These are V2, with the green circle sticker.

100inch sailplane, just need Rx,for 120 pounds, posted.

30 years ago, I bought a 100s plane for 55 pounds, then covered it for 20 pounds, then added a Cox TeDee 20 pounds...

Maidened mine today. A superb floater and certainly doesn't need the AS3X. Spoilers seem to work well and shortens/slows the landing. Climb is not as good as my Phoenix 2000 but then for that I bought the version with no electrics and with the motor I use it climbs like a scalded cat. I only have 2200 Mah batteries at the moment, (plus a lump of 63g lead to get the 91mm CoG), so will have to buy some 3200 3 cells. Can't wait for some decent thermic weather. All in all, a lot of plane for the money.

Maidened mine today smiley. Uneventful first flight despite using a 2200mAh LiPo positioned close behind the motor with no extra nose weight, - so a slightly aft C of G. Climbed better than I expected and very relaxing and predictable. A nice flat glide and thank goodness for the spoilers - they work! I can get the model in the car with the centre section of the wing attached to the fuselage (it is held on with five bolts so a bit of a faff otherwise). I am going to replace the bolts for the wing's outboard sections with velcro! Don't be alarmed, I have used it before to prevent the wings from sliding off a joiner and found it completely reliable, and better than losing the bolts in the grass. angry

• 2 weeks later...

1st flight today...what a lovely aircraft.

Used 2200 lipos... balance is a probably around the 98mm mark..just great straight out the hand...next to no trim adjustment..

Sniffed out any weak thermals around today...did not want to come down..

Can't ask more...

I stiffened the rear fus by cutting out a groove in the foam on the side and cyano'd in a 4mm carbon tube, applied clear fibre reinforced tape to the bottom of the fus (just to stop the mess) and that's about it..

This will become one of my 'go to' models (along with my Bixler)...

Terrific value from Suusex Model Centre for £122 delivered..

Fats

Alps....the carbon tube is on the other side to the rudder linkage, and starts just after the decal and stops about 20mm from the end. It's around 400mm long.

I just cut and filed a groove in to suit and then used ordinary cyano to fix..nothing special.

It does stiffen the lateral twist considerably for little wieght gain.

Have fun

Fats

• 1 month later...

Two members of our club have brought the new E-Flite Radian XL and today both turned up at the club field to maiden them .But both models on their maiden flight both had the same problem They both had their tail fail on the first flights in the result both model where totally written off.I must admit I did not actually see what happened on the first one but did witness the second one ,it seemed like the tail snap off while it was in a turn .It is a bit strange to see this happen to two different models on their maidens .Was considering to purchasing one because up until the problems happened both flew extremely well.Now I am a bit apprehensive about forking out £150 if there is a mayor problem in the structure of these models .Has anyone else see or come across this problem with this model???