E-Flite Radian XL

Advert

Posted by scott finnie on 28/11/2016 21:03:20:
Whats the chances it will fly ok on 3 channels? Rudder, Elevator and throttle like the Parkzone Radian

Its technically a 4 channel, the 4th being spoliers which are very good indeed, but not essential. So, in short, its fly's very well on rudder, elevator and throttle.

Cheers

CB

Posted by scott finnie on 28/11/2016 21:03:20:
Whats the chances it will fly ok on 3 channels? Rudder, Elevator and throttle like the Parkzone Radian

The problem may be it flies too well/efficiently and disappears without a way to dump lift! I am not really a fan of lightweight R/E models without any glideslope control for this reason; it is relatively easy to get sucked up in a big thermal and getting down without a structural failure can be tricky. If you can beg borrow or steal a TX that will drive the spoilers I would recommend you do so.

I have no experience of the XL, but have had two Radians (Gave one away to a 6th former to build another from spares I was given).

I am amazed at talk of not coming down because its RET. Maybe if you have pathetic control throws! Rates and Expo, Guys.

The Std Radian will happily roll, loop and fly extended inverted, and I have never been in a thermal I could not get one out of and both mine have been in some boomers in their time.

Half roll it on its back without elevator compensation to stay level and it'll come down. Series of reverse Immelmanns equals loss of altitude under perfect control.

Oh, and slowing for a landing with a non-spoiler RET like the Radian, leave the throttle so its JUST off brake so idling as a drag disc , and wriggle it on rudder to cause brief oscillating side slipping and that will kill speed and lift to spot land where needed.

Super plane, great fun (and I normally like much more hooligan planes!!).

Both of my Radians would climb out very near vertical (with std motors), so the thought of the XL not being that capable IS an off putter though. Tell me it isn't true........................ Sob.......................

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Go for it. I am really new to this flying lark with only a few months under my belt. In a mad moment I bought an XL and maidened it two days ago with the help and guidance of two club members. Up it went and wow it was like being on second heaven. Coming down was slow and landing was perfect. It was like having a quick fix, well I think that was what it was like. A fantastic start to 2017 and me an old git. Roll on I am champing at the bit to get up again.

Posted by Tony Holmes 1 on 08/01/2017 16:24:49:

Go for it. I am really new to this flying lark with only a few months under my belt. In a mad moment I bought an XL and maidened it two days ago with the help and guidance of two club members. Up it went and wow it was like being on second heaven. Coming down was slow and landing was perfect. It was like having a quick fix, well I think that was what it was like. A fantastic start to 2017 and me an old git. Roll on I am champing at the bit to get up again.

For a big foamie glider they are quite good, just repaired mine as I broke the tail putting it in the car the other day used some ca and a couple of carbon rods and its as good as new.

Posted by Alps Elyule on 08/01/2017 20:09:32:

Excellent Tony.. How did you chaps with the RXL go with your COG?

The best I could manage do with the 3300 (Turngiy) pushed all the way upfront was 95mm, no chance of a 91mm COG, so my 2200's are out of the question, unless I put a C type battery in the cockpit as well!!

Try doing a quick search of the RCGroups thread - there is lots of discussion about CG on there. Unsurprisingly the stock CG appears to be very conservative, so you will probably be fine with your 2200s; many are flying with even smaller batteries to minimise weight. Try a test glide over soft grass with your 2200 pack and see.

Edited By MattyB on 09/01/2017 13:52:38

Posted by Alps Elyule on 10/01/2017 12:23:38:

Nice one Ted, a bargain! Does yours have the green circle sticker on the box?

This wlll tell you if its the v1 or v2. What Rx will you be puttiing in it?

Haven't received it yet, but don't imagine it will be much problem checking all is sound even if it is v1.I use Futaba.

Edited By ted hughes on 10/01/2017 16:40:52

I received mine just before New Year from SMC, bought the pnp version. It has the green stickers, I'm not sure if the v1 was imported into the UK. Unfortunately one servo was a bit juddery so it has gone to Horizon under warranty and am waiting (hopefully), for a new one. There is also a slight twist in the rear fuselage but not as bad as one I have seen on the RCgroups forum. Will attack it with a hair dryer in a day or two. Probably will not be able to maiden it for 3 or 4 weeks as I have just had quite a major operation and have to take it easy for a bit.

Edited By Bob Bertram on 10/01/2017 17:27:46

Flew my XL today, the second flight checked my COG and it was 91mm with a 3200mah battery as far forward as it would go. A perfect flight although a bit bumpy with a ground wind speed of between 6 and 13 mph gusting at times to 15mph. I am new to this game so it was bite the bullet and away we go. It was flat field flying today not a mile from the south coast on a flat exposed farm site.

Yep, agree with you Ted. Got my servo back from Horizon Hobby this morning and all running nice and smooth. Full marks to HH for service. Been bit busy today so will sort it out tomorrow and get it ready for the maiden which will happen once the weather improves and the improvement in my medical bits all coincide!! Perhaps we should organise an XL meet somewhere in central England later this year. Seem to be a few people who have one of these.

Posted by Bob Bertram on 12/01/2017 19:56:07:

Yep, agree with you Ted. Got my servo back from Horizon Hobby this morning and all running nice and smooth. Full marks to HH for service. Been bit busy today so will sort it out tomorrow and get it ready for the maiden which will happen once the weather improves and the improvement in my medical bits all coincide!! Perhaps we should organise an XL meet somewhere in central England later this year. Seem to be a few people who have one of these.

Be good to organise a meet;.