Blade height on a circular saw?

Spikey

I've never been sure what's reckoned to be the "proper" height to set the blade on a tabletop circular saw for cleanest cut. Is it top of blade just through the material, or what?

If it makes any odds, this is a Proxxon with 80mm TCT blade.

Advert

The least resistance on the motor and the blade is just to set the blade as you say, just through the material Spikey.

The best cut is determined by teeth per inch, against material hardness, and feed speed through the blade, so we use a general purpose blade mostly that is a compromise.

In manufacturing they do match the blade with the material for mass production savings and accuracy

I think the least blade exposure possible is the best for two reasons.

1. The blade is not crossing the wood at right angles so it should give a better finish with less break out at the bottom.

2. In safety terms any contact with the blade and your fingers is a bad thing but if things go wrong then less blade exposure could make a difference between a nasty nip and an amputation.

Shaunie.

No I don't see it either. I set mine so that I can see the tooth gullet, too high means harder to push through narrow ripped strips and too low promotes kickback [wood gets flung back at you by the teeth catching the wood].

It is a great little saw, I use mine quite bit for my scratch building.

Edited By Steven Shaw on 12/07/2016 18:30:08