New here & question about mounting IC engines

Jonathan M

I have always used nylock nuts on model engines for many years with no problems. I have also used them in glow powered RC model boats ( another interest) where most of the running is flat out, the engine is mounted on a plate suspended by rubber bushes, so lots of vibration. There is also a lot more strain on boat engines as they rev higher and run flexible drive shafts and often fly out of the water. No problems with nylock there.

I was shocked when I found Thunder Tiger included self tappers for their Ready kit to hold the engine on its nylon glass mount. Strangely many people in my club had Ready planes and almost all used the self tappers with no problems. I ditched the ones supplied in the kit with some quality ones and joined them. I found they work very well. I also use them to hold the 55AX in our "Mad Ready"which has a tuned pipe on too. The only thing with self tappers is that you routinely need to tighten them as they slightly loosen over time with vibration. I agree that they are not as good as bolts but necessary in some applications to avoid extra fiddle . I certainly would not use them in high torque applications like four strokes or "larger engines" . Obviously wee are talking about "long"self tappers not the short variety.

I used them on a regular basis for 1/12 scale combat using up to .25 Irvine and West engines subjecting them to extreme G and rapid gyroscopic load changes (plus the odd mid-air!) with no problems. I chose this course in order to be able to swap an engine quickly if a problem needed resolving between bouts.

Nothing wrong with anything written above. To be honest mounting an engine is my least favourite job on a model plane be it kit or ARTF. I too will make a confession:

I have x2 OS120 2S and an OS160 2SI bought purpose made OS ali mounts, drilled and tapped. They are great - they make engine mounting so easy..... so OK I am not going to go to heaven but its worth it!!