DB GhostRider 38

kc

This months RCME free plan is the 38 inch version of the Ghost Rider. I have just noticed that a set of laser cut ribs for this are already available from iGull.   Looks like it includes cut spar and wing tips too.

16 pounds including postage. The ribs and spar would be tricky to cut by hand as they are 'eggcrate' type with a large slot cut most of the way through.

I don't know whether these are the 'official' RCME set or not but it's handy to be able to buy just a set of ribs instead of a full set of cut parts which are usually quite expensive.

iGull do many more sets of ribs for classic designs

Don't forget that the larger 51 inch Ghost Rider ribs are available from DB Sport & Scale together with the plan. Also that Sky Rider is also available from DB Sport& Scale and that's a 55 inch version of the same design I think. The same Sky Rider ribs are used on the old AMI Herr Flick design too.That one looks a bit like an Ugly Stik. Worth considering if you like these classic Boddo designs.

Edited By kc on 16/09/2016 19:42:55

Advert

Chris, it's the flying season now - building is a winter thing! Work on the Ballerina will resume when it rains.

The Ghost Rider seems quite a nice design but the 51inch seems more my size. Still the 38 might appeal to many, so as soon as i saw the rib set was available I let you all know. But have you ever seen a spar supplied in 4 pieces like the iGull one! It says 'shark tooth cut' but i think most woodworkers would call that "finger jointed" Should be OK in such a small plane but should be joined with a good PVA glue rather than cyano in my opinion.

I can see the point of buying a set of CNC cut ribs for a tapered wing but for a parallel chord wing I would have thought that the time and effort to cut them out oneself was minimal, but each to their own. I just cut a blank from thin ply, fit a new blade in my Swann Morton knife and carefully cut round the ply blank. Take care not to move the blank whilst cutting round it or you will end up with odd shaped ribs. If this is a problem you can always spray the back of the blank with 'fasttak' or perhaps use a couple of drawing pins to help it stay put. Also be careful not to shave bits off your fingers as the red blotches on the balsa spoils the effect! One sheet of balsa and 30 mins later you have 21 Ghost Rider 38 ribs ready for glueing. Perhaps it is just me, I like cutting out ribs, I find it most therapeutic. I usually cut slots in spars by taping a few sections of old hacksaw blade together, the wider the slots the more sections of blade I tape together. It is quicker and neater than using a model knife and doesn't weaken the spar like a knife can. I often use the same technique to notch LE and TE of wings rather than just butt jointing the ribs to them. The notches don't have to be very deep (1/16in?) but it increases the glueing area and strength of the joint no end. Don't forget to make the ribs slightly longer to allow for this. Just my 2p worth.

Edited By Piers Bowlan on 17/09/2016 04:52:39

Piers made several good points about wing construction which I agree with but not for this design!

This design needs accurate slots in the ribs that' why it seems worth buying the laser cut ribs. And it cannot have the ribs set into the TE because it has a 1/16 sheet TE top and bottom. ( Actually I cannot verify this with the latest RCME plan yet because i have not got a copy yet but the original design had 1/16 TE )

Posted by kc on 16/09/2016 19:24:37:

iGull do many more sets of ribs for classic designs

I'd not heard of iGull before this, so thanks kc.

I ordered a set of Mercury Magna Wing Ribs (the Magna was my first ever powered free flight model and I got a set of plans a few years back with a view to building another one day) late on Friday evening and they arrived in the post today, Monday, from Fife - well done iGull & Royal Mail.

The ribs are beautifully presented and very nicely packed and protected. Plus it turned out to be more than just the ribs, there is included a set of formers, the dihedral braces and the various gussets needed for the build. I'm most impressed and all for a fraction of the cost of some other providers.