Petition EASA Regulations.

Advert

I'm assuming you meant "threat", perttime?

The wording of the proposal seems to allude to membership of an organisation - whether that organisation, be it a national association or local club (I've not seen any definition yet) sees fit to require certification is another matter - the BMFA don't stipulate it as a condition of membership or entitlement to insurance cover at least at the present time...it's an achievement scheme not a licence!

Edited By Martin Harris on 04/12/2016 13:19:05

Posted by kc on 01/12/2016 16:13:48:

We should be trying to persuade the law makers to put into law the principles that most clubs adopt for safe flying - Nobody can fly solo until they have a an A cert until then flying only under supervision of qualified instructor. and everybody has to be insured. Flying sites must be to BMFA guidelines.

This would make all rogue fliers illegal yet leave us alone.

Wow.

As a builder and flyer for over 60 years, mostly as a SMAE/BMFA club and now country member, and never having an 'A' certificate or wanting to join any club any more, are you classing me and probably many other safe solo fliers as 'rogues' and want us banned ?

Personally I have come across some of the worst, unsafe fliers in clubs, and is the main reason I do not wish to join a club any more.

Just because a person passes a driving test does not necessarily make them 'safe' to be on the road. Likewise I feel sure many club members know of people with 'A' certs in their clubs they do not feel safe to be around.

Have some regulations, (shame common sense is available these days), with stiff penalties, to protect the public and full size air traffic, should be enough without trying to create more 'certified' model fliers, (club cliques ?).

Ray.

One of the clubs that I am a member off does not require any certificate. The safety record is exemplary.

Although a member of the BMFA, and also a worker for the BMFA, I really do not, that is really really do not like the idea that the BMFA is any way the only link or body that defines sites that identified as designated for the purpose of flying what we all call model aircraft.

I have read, and attended meetings where reassuring noises have been made in respect to the EASA Prototype rules, and that good progress is being made. Yet i do not see any changes in the amendment that give any cause to believe that the proposed regulations are any better in a substantive way.

The message seems to be "stay calm and carry on". Or should that be Fiddle while Roman burns?

Posted by Percy Verance on 04/12/2016 15:39:34:...If you decide you'd rather not be part of the proficiency scheme Ray, that's fine. But, as already pointed out, it may mean you cannot fly solo at certain clubs if you are a member.

I believe the point is, in the context of this thread, that flying without the approval of a national authority like BMFA will become an illegal activity.

Now, there's representatives from model sport organisations talking with EASA - but who will speak for the people who are not members?

Although few of us would want it so, it may come to a choice of joining an approved organisation or giving up model flying.

Short of forming a national body for unrepresented people rather quickly, I doubt that there's any way to be directly represented and you will need to trust the organisations already involved to make your case. Perhaps approach them to request that they make any case for you?

Pertime

Your argument is exactly the one i am trying to make, there should not be any single representative of our community, it does need to be broad based. Above all it should not allow any single group to represent the aeromodelling community.

I do believe that the BMFA has a positive role to play, as do others.

Edited By Erfolg on 05/12/2016 17:45:34

• 1 month later...

Some relatively hopeful information from the BMFA - I asked them about whether a new "UK Soaring Association" might be needed to formally own public access slope and flat field sites, and Dave Phipps responded saying it is not likely to be needed, and certainly not yet. It sounds like the negotiations are going relatively well at present, though I understand we thought that originally until EASA came out with the draft regulations v0.1 that were less than satisfactory!

Edited By MattyB on 24/01/2017 12:44:03