So you think you fly big models??

Peter Miller

Advert

Managed to find the short film from Boeing. Mixed feelings really, very clever technology to fly the 'plane remotely, but sad to see such a wonderful aeroplane (albeit well past it's sell by date and probably in storage for many years) wind up as a greasy stain on the desert floor.

I think there's been an even bigger 'model' flown. I seem to recall seeing a programme or YouTube video of an airliner (can't remember the type) flown remotely from a chase plane and deliberately crashed with crash dummies as 'passengers' to see how safety could be improved. I think there was a crew on board for the take-off but they baled out once the RC from the chase aircraft took over. There was a lot more detail on how it was done and IIRC control was from a Futaba 2.4ghz transmitter.

This is more impressive in that plane was under better control and even landed successfully. I wonder if it was FPV - I suspect so.

Geoff

Posted by Geoff Sleath on 06/10/2016 12:46:30:

I seem to recall seeing a programme or YouTube video of an airliner (can't remember the type) flown remotely from a chase plane and deliberately crashed with crash dummies as 'passengers' to see how safety could be improved.

"The Plane Crash", channel 4.

It's on their 'on demand' web page.

Posted by Geoff Sleath on 06/10/2016 12:46:30:

I think there's been an even bigger 'model' flown. I seem to recall seeing a programme or YouTube video of an airliner (can't remember the type) flown remotely from a chase plane and deliberately crashed with crash dummies as 'passengers' to see how safety could be improved. I think there was a crew on board for the take-off but they baled out once the RC from the chase aircraft took over. There was a lot more detail on how it was done and IIRC control was from a Futaba 2.4ghz transmitter.

This is more impressive in that plane was under better control and even landed successfully. I wonder if it was FPV - I suspect so.

Geoff

Saw that. 1 1/2 hours of preparation three minutes of crash and they got it wrong anyway/

In 1935 , A Radio - Control Gunnery Target Version of the Tiger Moth appeared

( Often Called the DH.82 Queen Bee )

Using a wooden Fuselage based on that of the DH. 60 Gypsy Moth ( with structural change's) and the Wings of the Tiger Moth II .

Nearly 300 entered service at the start of the Second World War , It is believed the name " Drone" derived from " Queen Bee "

These Aircraft retained a normal front cockpit , for test flying or ferry flights , but had a Radio - Control system in the rear cockpit which operated the controls using pneumatically driven servo's .

Four Hundred were built by de Havilland at Hatfield , and a further 70 by Scottish Aviation.

Another British First .

I don't know the details of how they were used but the control inputs on the ground station on display at the DH Museum at London Colney appeared to be provided by a modified telephone dial - providing trains of 1 to 10 pulses to select different control responses, I assume.

Must have been a challenge to fly!

Edited By Martin Harris on 06/10/2016 23:36:37

Posted by Martin Harris on 06/10/2016 23:34:00:

I don't know the details of how they were used but the control inputs on the ground station on display at the DH Museum at London Colney appeared to be provided by a modified telephone dial - providing trains of 1 to 10 pulses to select different control responses, I assume.

Must have been a challenge to fly!

Edited By Martin Harris on 06/10/2016 23:36:37

Yes, I've seen that exhibit..................couldn't see buttons A and B though laugh

Peter, if you look towards the end of that article on the Queen Bee, to which you linked, you'll see that the only surviving Queen Bee was fully restored from 1983 by Barrie Bayes. He was a work colleague of mine at the time (and we are still in touch!), and he tried to get me to join in with him in restoring it. I declined on the grounds that I didn't think my model building skills would scale up that far!

It was a decision I regretted when I saw the end result in action! He did a fabulous job of the restoration. When he had finished with it, it was probably in better condition than when it left the factory! Somewhere, I have an old betamax tape of it in action. I must try and find it - assuming the betamax still works.....!

--

Pete