Ripmax WOT4 GP/EP

ARC

Completed mine and test flown last week by our club instructor. I have subsequently flown it three times. This is my second plane after learning to fly and obtaining my A cert with a Seagull Boomerang. Assembling it took time, mainly as I was keen to ensure everything was aligned. I found the rudder closed loop assembly very fiddly. I am using the recommended motor and esc and everything fitted well. However with battery tray in the allocated position it was very tail heavy. I have managed to adjust the tray position about 15mm forward and still have access to use a hi-energy 4s 4500 battery. It still needed 100 grams of nose weight. The recommended throws make it very lively and I have reduced them by about 30% until I am used to the plane. I also added more colouring to the wing as being mainly white I found it was not so easy to see as the colourful Boomerang. General cruising with the batteries gives me 10 mins flight time with 40% left. All in all very pleased with it. Chris

Hi Chris ,

Thanks for reply and useful info on the WOT4.

I'm guessing you set the c of g at 82mm and then balanced to that ?

I'm using a 4s 5000mah lipo but my motor is about 10-15grams lighter than the recommended so i might gain a little nose weight there.

May also look to move the servos forward a little and possibly move the undercart a tad forward to help.

What prop are you using , was thinking a 13x8 initially and take it from there.

Good advise on the throws will be wary of this and prob set 25-35% exp on them.

Thanks

Andy

Got mine sorted, using a 4 maxx 5055 595kv motor on 6s 3700 and a 12x8 prop. Bolted motor directly to the plate and shortened the standoffs slightly, other wise all went together without a hitch. Ballistic and balance was right on the marks. Will shoot off vertically from virtually stopped like it's been shot out of a cannon.

Thanks Chris.

My overlander will give around 900w @ 40amps so i think its plenty for this.

Going to look at dropping the closed loop and go for a single control rod same as the elevator.

Picking the kit up tomorrow so will be interesting if i can get away with no extra weight

Andy

I have had some cut vinyl letters delivered today from Lee. I know he has just moved premises but he responds to e mails and because I am not in a hurry any delay from normal service has not been a problem. I have used Pyramid models several times and will continue to do so.

• 2 weeks later...

Just had the maiden flight today, calm and sunny (after the fog cleared!). Mine weighs in at 5.3lbs and powered by the Overlander T4260/06 (recommended by Sussex Model Centre when they couldn't supply the recommended Quantum motor). The model was coming out somewhat tail heavy, so I would recommend a 'heavy' brushless motor the Overlander weighs in at 264grms - ideal as no extra weight needed at the nose. No trimming required on the maiden (bit of a non-event really - thankfully!).

I wasn't sure on the power measured with my watt meter (4 cell, 400W with 14x10 APC prop and around 25 amps, so plenty of headway with my installed 60 amp ESC) - ideally I would have preferred around 500W, but plenty of thrust, good enough for me. Loops from straight and level and bunts were good. Not tried vertical performance yet and I can always prop up to a 15 inch prop, but would need to increase wheel size to achieve a reasonable clearance on our grass strip. Having been used to a Riot (foamie) for the last 3 years, the Wotty comes into land at a fair rate of knots (calm day, so a bit of wind should help slow it down) compared to the Riot which just floats in. But I did want a heavier model that copes with higher winds and this should do the trick. Very pleased with it. --- (apart from the fiddly push-pull rudder linkage - that was a bit of a pain to set up)

ARC - spinner size appears to be 55mm.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Steve ,

Thanks for the info.

Yes I agree the push/pull wire set up is too much faff. Looking at alternatives with out adding any weight. Also fitted my esc under the standoffs utalising the scoop in the cowl to cool it.

I'm going with a 5000mah 4s which should help and slightly increase the wheel size as our flying field is boggy and heavy this time of year.

Will post some pics when done

Andy

• 11 months later...

Mine is also going very well although my flying time has been restricted this year. No changes made but a repair was required after I had a heavy unplanned arrival in a wheat field.. the model proved to be tough with repairs easily made. I had put extra epoxy around the fus when assembling which paid off. All in all a great model and using the recommended set up gives a goood performance when needed and is well balanced in slow flying mode.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Had maiden , no probs. Shoe horned a 4s 5000mah 20c in there by moving the tray forward and up slightly. Balanced spot on with no extra weight needed . Very lively on full rates but not uncomfortable .

Edited By ARC on 04/01/2018 13:29:06

• 1 year later...