My attempt at a SebArt Mytho S 50E

Advert

That done time to fit the motor. Despite what the January 2015 review might say, the motor mounting bolts are still too short and don't seem to have been replaced by the UK distributor (in this case Dumfries Models). I needed to raid the spares box for 4 M4 bolts 25mm in length to be safe. Another thing missing was for M4 nuts to finish the job off. Spares box again. I also used Nordlock washers for security.

p1040154.jpgThe Hacker supplied prop hub was bolted to the motor with a dab of thread lock for security.

I refitted the cowl to see if all was ok.

p1040155.jpgGuess what? I need to fit another washer on the standoffs to give enough of the prop hub to protrude from the cowl. Not much in it but I need to be sure so I will redo the motor at the weekend and refit the cowl.

Edited By Adrian Smith 1 on 20/10/2016 19:42:04

Posted by Adrian Smith 1 on 20/10/2016 19:39:56:

That done time to fit the motor. Despite what the January 2015 review might say, the motor mounting bolts are still too short and don't seem to have been replaced by the UK distributor (in this case Dumfries Models). I needed to raid the spares box for 4 M4 bolts 25mm in length to be safe. Another thing missing was for M4 nuts to finish the job off. Spares box again. I also used Nordlock washers for security.

p1040154.jpgThe Hacker supplied prop hub was bolted to the motor with a dab of thread lock for security.

I refitted the cowl to see if all was ok.

p1040155.jpgGuess what? I need to fit another washer on the standoffs to give enough of the prop hub to protrude from the cowl. Not much in it but I need to be sure so I will redo the motor at the weekend and refit the cowl.

Edited By Adrian Smith 1 on 20/10/2016 19:42:04

One thing I did like about electric planes was the lack of having to cut up the cowl making the process much easier. yes That motor looks huge! Is that equivalent to 50cc?

Edited By Rich2 on 20/10/2016 19:51:55

Edited By Rich2 on 20/10/2016 19:54:20

Well Cymaz I did wonder about that. However, in its favour is the grub screw sits on the threaded part of the cable coupler which gives it resistance against movement and with thread lock on the screw we will just have to see. All other pushrods have a flat filed on them where the grub screw sits & with thread lock of course. It is a very light aircraft and I suppose the fittings that come with it reflect that.

I used a couple of rubber grommits (not supplied) to cushion the cowl screws.

p1040158.jpg

The wheels and spats come next which was a bit of a fiddly job to get everything tightened up so as not to lose bits in flight. The U/C fairings where attached using silicone sealant as per manual and taped while drying.

p1040159.jpg

That's the build done so next job is to set up the radio and working surfaces which I will do next week if flying weather doesn't present itself.

Edited By Adrian Smith 1 on 22/10/2016 18:07:43

Connected up all the electrics and adjusted the working surfaces. Tested the motor and I did have to reverse the throttle channel on my Futaba TX before I started which was the correct thing to do as it turned out. the only thing left to do is to ascertain the position of the battery in relation to the CoG and I am aiming for the mid-range level at 165mm from the L/E. Ran out of time today so will have to do that another day. Anyway, took a piccy of the finished article which looks pretty good. Hopeful of doing the maiden in the next week or two. The elevators, ailerons were initially set at 30deg up and down with the rudder at 40deg. The ESC RX lead was slotted into CH3 which is throttle channel.

p1040160.jpg

Sebart F3A models are great, but it does seem like Seba likes to set his up more for 3D than precision aerobatics - the stock CGs seem to be relatively rearward and throws very aggressive. Follow Peters advice fora worry free maiden flight, 10 degrees will be plenty for starters.

Edited By MattyB on 23/10/2016 22:16:19

To get to my preferred CoG of 165mm (mid range) I needed to put the lipo as far forward as it would go and add 2oz of nose weight. This is because the lipo is a 3800mah 6s, as per the review. I accept that 4500s would have been better but I had already bought the lighter ones. However, I will invest in some 4500 s after the maiden flight assuming it goes ok. In the end I had to put the rx above the pull pull rudder servo using Velcro which seems fine.

Today was an ideal day for the maiden flight, clear day and not a breath of wind (although in hindsight a bit of wind might have been ideal. Still beggars can't be choosers). I don't mind admitting I was very nervous - what nervous you say, given my familiarity with big petrols? Can't explain it, but I was genuinely concerned everything would turn out ok.

p1040208.jpgBelt and braces for the battery and set the TX timer at 4 minutes to start with. Preflight photos incase disaster happens!

p1040209.jpg

p1040210.jpg

Edited By Adrian Smith 1 on 29/10/2016 14:39:37

Well the good news is that after two trimming flights this is the after flights photo.

p1040211.jpgSo back on terra firm safe and sound. Phew!

My observations are as follows. I see what you guys meant about starting off with 10 degs of working surface movement. That was a good suggestion and she was still a bit lively even with CoG midrange. My only observation on the rudder is I could probably get away with a bit more throw, say 15 degs. I am amazed at how fast she seems to go and deceptively so. On the first landing approach I realised in time that I was coming in a bit too fast (wind might have helped here) so went round again to land successfully. I decided to let her slow up a bit more on landing the second time as there didn't seem to be an unannounced stalling issue. One bit of maintenance required was I noticed the plane pulling more to the right than I expected on take off roll out. This turned out to be a stiff U/C wheel which I put right back at the work shop. Next time out I will try a few aeros now I am confident of the handling capabilities.

Edited By Adrian Smith 1 on 29/10/2016 14:40:52