A question of physics.....

WolstonFlyer

Posted by WolstonFlyer on 12/10/2016 21:54:12:
Posted by Flyer on 12/10/2016 21:52:22:

The question was though ' can it fly'........

The question says 'can it take off' , not can it fly.

I apologise Wolston, it's the merlot talking ! But same applies, aircarft CAN take off. That answers the question.

Now where did I leave those thinners..............

If the wheel rotational speed always matches the conveyor speed but in the opposite direction- then - whatever the thrust from the engines, the aircraft will remain totally stationary. If it is stationary the wings cannot generate any lift at all - so no it cant take off and wouldnt even move forwards or backwards.

My analogy would be - imagine being on a running machine and as you constantly increase your pace you balance that by constantly speeding up the conveyor that you are running on - you will stay in the same place on the machine.

I reckon.......!!

I’d have also thought no, simply by the fact that if the engines were not running but the belt was going backwards the plane would move backwards. If the engines then were then started and the thrust resulting in the wheels turning forward to exactly match the belt under all conditions the plane would simply stand still. Thus to me it’s quite difficult to see how it could take off. How far does a person on a running machine actually move forward? All the forward movement is transformed into rearward movement, resulting in the runner staying in one place.

PB

Edit. Pipped at the post, Harry…  Great minds and all that!

Edited By Peter Beeney on 12/10/2016 22:45:41

A trickeir conundrum is rhis, imagine youre driving a car with the windows open and your passenger starts flying his quad inaide the car, holding it stationary. He then slides it sideways rhrough the window. Wjat bhappens?

Conversely, he flies the quad outside, pacing your car. Then slides it sideways in thriugh a window...what happens?

D

It will take off.

It's not a car - it isn't driven through its wheels!! The wheels are therefore irrelevant. They are just casters!

The drive (thrust) is being supplied by the jet engines, which require no contact with the ground.

If you want to visualise what would happen imagine the exact equivalent sitution (physically) of four ropes tied to the engine nacelles and the aircraft being pulled along by them via some mechanism. If you pulled hard enough and fast enough (which the 747's engine would in practice of course) it will take off.

BEB

My immediate thought was as BEB but I was assuming this was in the real world. I somehow suspect that such a conveyer belt could not be built with any materials/technology available today but assuming the conditions stated could be matched, it's impossible for the aircraft to be moving forward through the air if the conveyer belt is moving backwards at the same rate that the aircraft's wheels are rotating.

However, if the brakes could stop the wheels rotating and sufficient lubricant was applied to the belt (stupid, but just as likely as building such a conveyer - or teflon pads were strapped to the tyres?) within the conditions specified, there's no reason why the aircraft couldn't then move forward relative to the belt, so I will stick with my original judgement that it could take off!

OK because it is late and I am not cruel:

I agree that the problem is stupid and has no true solution, it is a trick question.

Statement A: if the treadmill moves in the opposite direction of the wheels, always at the exact same speed of the wheels, the wheels cannot ever move in reference to the treadmill.

Statement B: the engines generate an enormous force in the opposite direction of the plane, therefor, due to the law of equal and opposite reaction, the plane has an equally enormous force pushing it forwards.

Statement C: in a free body diagram of a frictionless system, there is no force opposing the force of the engines

Combining these statements shows that it is impossible for the plane to move in relation to the treadmill; however, there is no force stopping it from doing so.

These statements are contradictory and therefor the problem is void.

If you really want to have a read go here

Sorry no. The conveyer is merely a frictionless support. So a direct analogy would be imagine the aircraft was on a sheet of ice. Could it take off? Of course it could!
Second one - all the conveyer does is remove the effect of traction. But if an aircraft required traction to move forward it couldn't fly could it because when it's flying it's not in contact with the ground!
BEB

There must be more energy being applied to the rolling road (allowing for mechanical losses) than is being generated by the aircraft in order for the conditions specified to be met and maintain equilibrium - does this impact on your free body explanation (I don't know - just wondering).

There can be no doubt that if the wheel's rotation is matching the belt speed and there's no slip as per the original question, the aircraft isn't moving relative to the surrounding air - disregarding air movement generated by friction along the length of the belt.

As stated by WF - a trick question in reality!

OK

The engines apply thrust and the plane would roll forwards with the tyres touching the belt, we all get that, perfectly normal.

At the same exact instant the belt moves in the opposite direction because as the question states, it is "designed to exactly match the speed of the wheels, moving in the opposite direction". Is the plane moving forwards? How can it be, the wheels are rolling forwards at the same speed that the belt is moving backwards.

Then the engines power up more to push the plane forwards, the wheels are still in contact with the belt and the belt instantly matches that change in speed, the plane does not move forwards, it is sitting still with the wheels turning forwards at the same speed as the belt running backwards. For the plane to move forwards and get any airspeed to generate lift the wheels have to turn forwards faster than the belt is moving backwards.

The question is a paradox designed to create discussion

Edited By WolstonFlyer on 13/10/2016 00:49:31