A question of physics.....

WolstonFlyer

This is a classic loaded Question because it presumes you will assume the engines are running because it talks about the speed of the wheels.... of course if the jets were running at full power it would take off because the motion is provided by jet thrust so the fact its sitting on a conveyor belt is irrelevant BUT nothing is said in the scenario stated to say that the engines are running at all, therefore in that situation the wheels would not be turning, the conveyor belt would not be moving (ie matching the speed of the wheels) and the 747 would remain motionless

If the conveyor belt is running at the same speed as the wheels. The top of the wheel is moving at the same speed as the bottom of the wheel but in the opposite direction so therefore the net speed of the wheel is zero.

The conveyor belt is therefore not moving..

The aircraft will then accelerate normally and take off in the normal take off distance.

Seemples.

Leaving aside the pedantry (and the imprecise nature of communication prevalent on t'internetsmile), I think you have to assume the 747 is in full working order - and you have to ignore the picture and read the script carefully.

Note that the conveyor belt is described as being as wide and long as a runway - not the foreshortened running machine in the pic which is a bit of an optical diversion, IMHO.

If the engines are run up, the reaction to the thrust will move the 747 forwards, regardless of the conveyor belt. Once it reaches take-off speed, it will fly.....

There you go - I've put myself on offer...teeth 2

Pete