Elastic Flaps, what are they?

Advert

Dear Mel , flaps are made of an elastic material and here I is an example of the turbine.....

Al the best

**LINK**

Note:Flaps are flexible in order to mitigate the strong dynamic strikes and that the there is no destruction of the same.

Edited By Josip Vrandecic -Mes on 13/10/2016 09:42:26

Edited By Josip Vrandecic -Mes on 13/10/2016 09:47:06

I wonder if they actually mean "elastic spoilers", where the the flat plate spoilers on the wing top are hinged along their front edge, but are held flat against the wing by an elastic band (or spring). The spoiler is then opened by the action of a servo in the wing, using the servo arm as a cam, and are closed by the tension of the band.
I'm sure I've seen it done like this in the past.

edit: found this youtube link

**LINK**

Edited By Essjay on 14/10/2016 07:29:40

Gap free hingeing system invented by Grob in the 80s (I think!) very similar to the 'living hinge' system we see in moulded models where the hinged surface is done in the lamination phase.

When I find a link will post it.

Seem to remember it being used on the Astir sailplane from my full size days in the past.

• 2 weeks later...

Some indoor hand-launched gliders, had camber on the wing which would give a flapped effect at low speeds, but in the fast launch phase would be flex up and be blown flat by a combination of inertia and the airflow. The Coot 4 is one such example. See the link to the plan in the first message below:

**LINK**

I wasn't aware of a Grob Astir with flaps, but a quick Google showed that the G104 Speed Astir has a wing just as Conwy Soarer describes. I'm surprised it was justified, as the normal Astir that I fly on occasions, is quite happy down to 36 knots even with a lump like me at the top end of the allowable weight (meaning that the CofG is at the forward end of the range).

Edited By Robin Colbourne on 24/10/2016 22:49:08