Mode 1 or 2?

Mr Sam

not sure if this has been asked or discussed before but just wondering

i started out on mode 2 (throttle stick on the left) recently joined a new club and they were quite shocked at this and half trying to perswade me to move towards using mode 1 (throttle on right stick)

i was told it would be easier to learn with the 2 main controls on seperate sticks that way i wont nudge the elevator when im using airlons

my argument though for prefering mode 2 is that having the airlons and elevator on the same stick its almost like a joystick in a real aircraft so easier to get my head round just coardinating the one thumb as if it were a joy stick?

main reason i ask im half thinking about going 2.4ghz so miiiiiiiiiight switch to mode 1 in the process

Personally I would recommend you DONT change modes. I fly mode 1 but thats only because I was taught that way - I can fly mode 2 but it is not my "natural" mode and would get into trouble in any "reactionary" situtaions. I suspect that most people omly fly the mode they do because of the same reasons - they were taught like that.

I do know people who have tried to change horses mid race - and lost big style

I use a fist full of exponetial on my ailerons to avoid acidentally nudging them when moving the throttle stick quickly - surely the same could be applied to your elevator / aileron stick? 

Mode 2 rules ,emulates the real thing .

Mode 1 is from the good old days when people did not use ailerons.

When they did get round to using ailerons,  they used the left stick to avoid problems confusing the rudder with the ailerons on take off.

This means most people using mode 1 are about 100years old and talk about things like Super 60's and diesel engines .

Stick to what you know, most instructors should be able to fly mode 1 and  2

"And that's what gets results" blah  blah.    Bananarama .

Horses for courses springs to mind .

In the 1970's I flew /trained on mode 1 .

After flying full-size and flight sims, I find it is more natural for me to fly  mode 2  .

"I'm with Kelvin here. Mode 1 is for the elderly! "

It's probably more to do with Mode 2 being closer to a Playstation controller than a RC transmitter.

Don't forget Shaun that, in most cases, with age comes experience.

I'm just off to take my pills  then on to Couhe, for the air show.

Oop's, nearly forgot my stick......................................

Gary.

In started with mode two many years ago as it was more like the 'real thing' but over the years I had a few 2 and 3 channel txs that were mode one, and didn't find it too hard to swap - but then I was used to riding both old Brit and newer Jap motorbikes with gears/rear brakes on different sides.  Like driving on the continent, you soon get used to doing things 'other handed'.

if I was starting out again, I'd go mode one - much better for seperating aileron and elevator for more accurate aerobatics,  or maybe my coordination is starting to go  - old age strikes eh Shaun?

I fly Mode 1 because that was what my first Futaba 5LK was set to. I can also fly Mode 2 equally badly, but prefer No 1 so this is obviously the best(!!!???)

Interesting debate as to Mode 2 being more 'real'-if this is the case, where do you put your feet for rudder control  then?

I never even asked the question when I bought the spektrum last week! Luckily after getting home and opening it I discovered it was a proper one, with a joystick on the right...

Thing that most surprised me, few years back, some guy with throttle on the right stick pulled it back to open up....that's got to be the most un-intuitive (is there such a word?) control movement ever..in a plane, you pull back to slow down (stick,throttle, airbrake,spoilers,reverse thrust) push forward to speed up, surely?

Yorkman wrote (see)

Thing that most surprised me, few years back, some guy with throttle on the right stick pulled it back to open up....that's got to be the most un-intuitive (is there such a word?) control movement ever..in a plane, you pull back to slow down (stick,throttle, airbrake,spoilers,reverse thrust) push forward to speed up, surely?

That sounds like a bit of servo reversal to me........................