Low pass Petes Build thread for Holi (Dereck Woodward Design)

Advert

Hi all

Ref my build so far for Holi.

Wing

This is one piece affair which uses 36" stock wood. First lay down lower sheet and add lower spar, then ribs and upper spar. Really a simple build.

Fus

Side are lite ply. Only 3 formers. Access to servos etc is from underneath.

Modifications to plan

I am using a 6ounce tank (plan calls for SLEC Blue 4ounce) so I have made fus sides 1/4in longer at front so it will fit ok.

I'm using an ASP32 (plan was for 25) but experience from my first build showed the airframe handled an OS40FP and ultimately and ASP46! Ihave made F1 about 1/4 inch taller so mount will fit ok. Could not find a round SLEC engine mount so have settled for a Radio Active square one.

That's a bit of a rarity - a Dereck Woodward design with a tailplane! I didn't spot it at first glance and nearly fell through my chair when I saw the C of G position! It is so similar in layout to the tailless "Amy" that I've flown and then owned for many years. Inspired by Amy, a clubmate has recently built a 20" span "Tiny Bit" which is an amazing flyer with great performance on a 300 mAh 2S battery.  Dereck designed it for a Cox Pee Wee (rather fitting as it weighs less than a gnat's proverbial at a fraction over 3 oz including battery) which is around half the weight of the original!

Edited By Martin Harris on 24/11/2016 11:39:07

You are right Pete, would have made a nice simple build for the Mass Build over the holiday period when everyone else is crashed out in front of the TV! Or does that sound a tad anti-social? Perhaps the answer is to put up a build bench in the TV room, how many of us would get away with that?!

I wonder how many Little Bits were made from the RM free plan? I built two, Babe Bee and a Speed 400 version.

Should go well on a 32. Nice build, following with interest.

Edited By Piers Bowlan on 24/11/2016 11:54:37

• 11 months later...

I agree Nigel that DWs designs were very simple to build but very good designs. I recall that Little Special and MS Jax were very similar and both were free plans. I think I have both of these still in my plans box.

Holi is simple to build especially the wing which uses 36in stock on a flat board so no wing joining or dihedral to worry about; ideal for beginners. Result was a very strong airframe that could take a number of different engine sizes. Limitation for bigger engines was the size of tank so you had to use power sparingly. Mind you a 40-46 in a pocket rocket meant you would only need full power for climbs etc.

Great fun to build and fly. However it could be more of a challenge to go electric in this but that would mean turning to the "Dark Side" for me.

laugh

Ref Electric for Holi.  It would be simple to put an access hole in F2 to allow a battery to be fitted behind F1 rearwards using a hatch on lower fus.  If that were done I would make F2 thicker to compensate for loss of strength due to hole...... Not that I'm going electric....

Now there's a challenge for someone.....................................

Edited By Low pass Pete on 02/11/2017 10:12:15

HoliInspired by your build thread Pete I started building an electric version last year. I got as far as cutting out a kit of parts and completed the wing but then two projects intervened, so Holi temporarily ground to a halt. The motor I am using is a HK SK3 Aerodrive 3548/1050kv for 3s 2200 LiPo with a Turnigy Plush 40A ESC.

If my house move goes to plan, I hope to pick up where I left off in the new year. It is a small model so shouldn't take long.

Edited By Piers Bowlan on 03/11/2017 11:00:26

Thanks Peter, I did vote for for Holi but like you say it is not a front runner. Derek did produce some great/simple little designs, I am looking forward to finishing Holi off before too long. Mine almost ended up with my Super Tigre 36 Pro in it but I didn't want to fall out with the neighbours ( I doubt I would have been able to keep up with it either).

• 1 year later...

Well my Holi finally has got back to the building board. Here are some photos of the dry assembly. She is close to covering. Mass Build 2017 (Skywriter) plus down time due to operation slowed me down but here we are at last. Looks about 3lb 3oz uncovered with just tank, battery and receiver to fit. Bit nose heavy in this condition but I should be able to move battery rearwards to counter that so looks good so far.

Modifications from plan are 2 servos in wing for aileron, plus I decided to make the wing removable as space in my garage is dwindling rapidly! Looking forward to completing her and maiden in 2019.

img_6344.jpg

img_6346.jpgimg_6347.jpg

Very nice work Pete, I am looking forward to hearing how she flies, should be good.

My e- Holi is in the same state it was in last year! I have done all the jobs in my new house angeland now with a heated garage, no excuses for not finishing her off pronto. Watch this space!

Edited By Piers Bowlan on 16/12/2018 19:40:32

• 2 weeks later...

Well my Holi had her maiden this afternoon. 3 flights in total. The flying weight looks about 3lb 14ozs.

I have the C of G on the main spar which is a bit forward to the plan so I will adjust by moving battery rearwards. The battery is just over the UC at the moment so it can be moved back a bit.

How does she fly. Fast but generally good manners and nice to land as long as you take care. The first flight was a bit hairy until I corrected the trim for the current C of G and she needed a lot of up trim to get her flying level. This is why I think the C of G can go rearwards. But with care!!

Rolls are a bit barrely so will be looking at aileron deflections to try to correct that. Only 2 years in the making!!!!! Got there in the end.

Two more projects on the go now for 2019 as well. A Seagull Chipmunk. 80 in wingspan probably Laser 155 powered and I am also intending to join the 2019 Mass Build which is to be Renassisance from the Lindsey Todd design which was an RC and E free plan last July. I built Skywriter (also Lyndsey Todd design) in the 2017 mass build and converted the build for an OS62V 4 stroke. She is great to fly and a favourite. Happy days.

Best wishes to all for 2019 and happy flying.

Regards

Peter