Surrey Flying Services AL-1

Tony Bennett

Thought i would start a new project to while away the time between paint coats on the Ensign.

So i started drawing up the plans for this little known aircraft.

they only made one and it was a side by side seating biplane trainer.

So i started the fuselage last night.

I still need to build the centre section out of ply as it will be taking all the loads from the wings and u/c.

then i will join all the parts together, and sheet the sides with 3mm Depron.

I will be adding Depron stringers on top of the skin to simulate the full size when covered.

Tony B

Advert

Tony, also found this pdf about Slamson engines.

The main text is about the AD.9, but towards the end mentions the AC.5, AC.7 and AC.9 and suggests that the AC types have interchangeable cylinders, so, it's probable that the appearance of these engines is very similar save the number of cylinders.

If you can find a photo of any of these engines then you should have a good idea what they look like.

GDB

I'm speechless, but should know better by now! I got it in my head a while ago that it should be possible to build a conventional open structure wing with Depron if you pay suitable attention to the structure, particularly the composite balsa approach with the spars and leading/trailing edges.

You can even get away with tissue/nylon/silk and dope if you prime the Depron first with something suitable to protect it from solvent attack, or so it appears from the Chipmunk tailplane and fin/rudder. I need tp make a wing and try that idea out. Perhaps you will do that anyway?!

my plan is to have balsa spars with depron ribs.

then balsa leading and trailing edges.

cover with tissue and polyc.

aluminium tube wing joiners and balsa root ribs.

the fittings for the working rigging will be fun, i might have to revisit one of Mr Hoopers biplane builds to steal a few ideas. cheeky

but it will be fun trying.

• 1 month later...

Fin, Rudder and tailplane under construction.

The fin and rudder are 90% Depron with Balsa leading edges and hinge posts.

The tailplane has Balsa spars, leading and trailing edges with Depron ribs and cap strips.

I 3D printed a control horn and built it into the rudder and will be using a snake to control it when completed.

you have been watching.

Tony B

Edited By Tony Bennett on 31/01/2017 17:08:53