Beware - Scammers

Hi,

we have received a report from a forum member about a very strange approach he has had with respect to an item he has for sale. For example the buyer wants to purchase by cheque, he will not pick the item up himself, instead he will send a proxy etc.

On checking it out we have discoveed that the person does indeed have a rather "suspicious" user profile from our point of view - I don't want to go into details regarding what as we don't want to alert possible scammers to what robustness checks we can do on them. Suffice to say he does not look good!

So, please, be very careful if you are selling items. If someone makes strange arrangements, won't pay you in a clear and transparent fashion or tjhere is anything else "odd" about the proposed transaction, don't go ahead. Better to not sell the item than lose it!

It would also be useful if you could alert one of the mod team to the approach as we can then investigate and if deemed necessary remove the account in question.

BEB

• 2 years later...
Advert

Appreciate this is an old post but I have just had a similar experience.

My Turnigy 9X outfit is for sale and I was contacted by a buyer in Venezuela.

He wanted to post me a banker’s draft here in South Africa and then the item would be collected by a shipper at no cost to me!

I declined.

Yes, it works this way, they then say they will send you a much larger bank draft. Would you give the extra cash to the person collecting the item. You can keep some of the extra cash.

You do this and then six moneths later the bank says "It was a forgery" and they take all the money back from you.

Someone tried this one on me many,many years ago. I declined. I also called the police and had a long chat t=with the cybercrime officer who explained the scame to me.

I said that I was amazed that anyone would fall for it. I was told that a man in my local village got taken for £3000 when selling a car.

Posted by Peter Miller on 25/04/2019 08:59:53:

...You do this and then six moneths later the bank says "It was a forgery" and they take all the money back from you.

Someone tried this one on me many,many years ago....

<<sigh>> Not this old bunkum again! cheeky

As I've said before, times have changed, the law has moved on.

Google UK cheque clearing cycle. In short, after 6 working days, the money is yours, it can't be taken back (unless it is proved that you were party to the scam). NB this applies to the UK only; the law is probably (in)different in less civilised parts!

See this link to the org. responsible for this process in the UK: Bankers Drafts

I recently had the "I am overseas at the moment, but want to purchase your item at the full asking price. I will send my courier to collect it etc. etc".

What a wast of time and energy.

Have these morons got nothing better to do than trawl our free ads, and send out xxxx like that?.

Had this on a variety of selling sites.

Sellers beware!.