Nigel Hawes Tucano

Richard Gordon-Davis 3

Advert

Hi BEB.

Like you I've never done the Delton thing either but thought that it would be worth a go and there are many plans readily available. I will not be able to start this project for a while due to a hectic  overseas work commitment, so if anyone else would like to have a crack please take a lot of photos and keep us up to date.... We may well be onto something here!

Kindest regards

Richard

Richard, here's a model with a depron wing, but with a double thickness LE KF wing sect, which gives a lot of strength and would work for the Tucano.p3122304.jpg Check the net for info.

At 28" span wing area is about the same as 36" Tucano, and with glass/poly finish weighs 22oz ready to go with 3s 2200 lipo.

• 2 weeks later...

your'e right Colin, I bought mine quite a few years ago along with the Tornado ( still unbuilt by the way) thinking of EDF power instead of rear props. The website is still a good source of build pictures, I did not use the the plan for the Tuc just laid a straight line down my board and went from there, lovely flyer no vices at all you will not go far wrong with this model Tom/Richard.

• 1 year later...

Just thought I would up date this thread. I bought the wood pack, as suggested, and built the model along the lines of the many mass build threads on here.

As the weather was so bad ( I wish we had some of that rain now) I also went and built the 30” model as well. Both covered the same. The smaller model is great to fly as it really can move. But both fly well and have enjoyed them better than some of the expensive kits I have built over the years.

Thinking of having another go this winter, maybe putting wheels on the 45” and a 30” to keep it company.image.jpeg

Hi I have the very first kit of the 30 inch Tucano that Nigel produced way back with his letter wishing luck etc. My friend ordered it and put it away and gave the kit to me some years later. I built it originally with a Cox 051 TeeDee but couldn't get a decent tank to fit so converted it back to electric Things had moved on in the electric world so fitted a 2800KV motor with a 5 X 5 prop running on a 3s 1500mah lipo and it's a rocket ship and launches are near vertical ,no throw needed. It's been flying now for about 5+ years and covering is looking a bit tatty but still a great little fun model model. No warps and still straight as anti warp tips are in the build with grain across the wing tip. I will add a pic later .

After I built the 45” model, as the weather was bad, I and a fellow flyer both built the 30” size, and we are using 3S 2200. Yes they go like a rocket. I must admit my first flight was going well until it just fell out of the sky. Damage was total. I had no idea why it happened. So home it came and it sat under the bench, which I looked at every time I went into the garage and incouldn’t decide what to do with it.

The guy that built the other one took his out, on one of the few nice days in Spring before this silly weather arrived, which I launched, so after watching his fly so well for the life of the charge, I got thinking. When I got home and put my planes away I got the remains of the Tuc on the bench and realised it was only the fus that was wrecked.

So I built a new fus and used the remaining of the original plane. The only issue I had was on the crash I lost the canopy. So I built one from balsa, shaped it, then hollowed it out with the Drexel. Best decision I’ve made for a while. Just wondering if I could build one with an approx size inbetween the two.