Learning to fly

andy watson

Well, another perfect day, and anothe rimperfect excuse to get down to the field.

Andy was busy today, so my 3 flights took a long time to come round, but I do enjoy sitting around chatting- and the chip butty was welcome!

Lesson 11

Almost nothing to say about it really, once I got off the ground I did my circuits in both directions, landings, and some untidy 8's.  There was a breeze, rather than wind, and it was coming across the path, so that made it awkward, but apart from that there was nothing really to note.  That is a good thing.  So I will leave it there for todays lesson except for a couple of things.

1) The grass hadn't been cut, and myself and quite a few others were really struggling to get our planes off the ground.  This led to some interesting driving around.  At one poin tit looked more like an RC car club than planes.

2) Now this is one for the "experts".  As I said before, take off conditions were awkward.  Although the wind wasn't strong it was across the flight line, and the grass was a bit long.  One of the guys (passed his A, but not the most experienced flier- although he looks good to me) was taking up his bi plane for its first flight, and had waited for Andy (my instructor) to be near when he took off as he was a bit cautious.  He took off, but got out of control in the process, and in retrieving the situation flew close to the pits, himself and us waiting to take off.  After that I took off diagonally, which points towards the very far end of the pits (no one was there) and then banked away from them and up into my circuit.

About a minute later a guy who I have never seen before, but is appartantly some big shot in the model flying community (?) stormed over and demanded which of us had or A and who had their B.  The first guy said he had his A, Andy said he had his B, and I said I had nothing- but Andy was instructing me.  He then, very abruptly, told us all about flying over the pits with some trite "kill your throttle before you kill a person" or suchlike.

Now please, don't think I am unhappy about his regard for safety in flying.  I accept that completely.  What I take issue with is his manner, and how he stomped over to the area where fly from to start making his point.  Even now I have no idea whether he was having a go about my take off, or the other guys.  How does he expect a person struggling to control his plane to be able to listen to his point.  By interupting our concentration he actually made our flying less safe, as we were both concentrating on our flying.  There was absolutely no reason not to wait until whichever one of us had offended him had landed and returned to the pits to make his point.

If it was my take off that offended him (I don't think it was, but I am not sure) then surely the better thing to do is to talk quietly after the event.  As I have said, I have never seen him before, so the opposite is true.  That might have been my first ever take off- he didn't know.  If it was my mistake, then what have I learned- nothing.  If he had discussed the wind conditions, what I did, and what I should have done, then I might have learned something and not make the same mistake again.  As it was, it did unsettle me for much of my flight.  If I had been a first time visitor I honestly think I would be looking at different clubs tonight. 

Anyway, I don't think it was my mistake- so bugger him!!!  Everything else was fine! 

Well, back to school this week, so lots of work last week and this, and I have neglected my blog.

So, "lesson" 12

The plane was in the boot ready to fly on sunday, and I was keen to get going as the weather wasn't going to be good.  Preying on my mind was the pile of coursework I had to mark that had been sat untouched for 6 weeks, and it was the last day of the holiday!!  Luckily as I head of department I would only have to tell myself off if I didn't finish it, so I put it to one side (again) and headed off. 

When I got there Andy was well ensconsed messing around with some electrical thingy, but he took me up and off we went for assorted circuits and different shapes in the air.  When we landed I think he was keen to carry on fiddling, and he pronounced that he didn't need to stand with me any more, and I could take myself up- although he did warn me not to do anything silly, since he was still officially my instructor!!

So here we go, and I am flying properly solo!  I stayed very cautious, knowing I didn't have a safety net, and did a few circuits before landing.  After that I made flight after flight, and whilst I kept them all short (I have no idea of time passing whilst flying and really didn't want to run out of fuel) I soon became more adventurous- reversing my circuits and practising my figure 8's.  The landings were a bit bumpy, but nothing more than a few bent nose wheels. 

I was chatting to Andy about how busy teaching he had been, and he really does give up a lot of his time.  It can't help tha because I have been on holiday, then anything resembling good weather has seen me down at the field- so his uninterrupted flying sessions have probably been few and far inbetween!!  This is probably a good time to acknowledge the amount of time he has committed to my learning to fly.

"lesson 13"

Unlucky for some- but not for me.  Andy is flying, and I am flying too! 

There was a club meeting yesterday, which I attended to see a load of big jets and hear about them.  Plenty of people there were asking whether I had taken my A yet, so confidence in me seems high.

It does feel like this blog is starting to run out of steam a bit, since I had 3 flights today, all solo, and they were all uneventful except for one take off which I managed to cock up and almost piled into the ground.  Knife edge flying at 3 feet is not really what I was aiming for, but I was right- there was just enough space to get it up before I crashed into the long grass!  Just!  Unfortunately our field had just been cut, and resembled a bowling green, so no excuses from there!

I did see just how good Andy is today though.  One guy was flying his plane and a wheel fell off!!  So he did circuits whilst people debated the best way to try bring it in.  The tranny was passed to Andy who did a couple of practise passes- including a touch and go on one wheel- before bringing it in so gently it barely seemed to touch the ground.  He manages to run it along on one wheel for a distance before there was so little speed the missing wheel side wing had to drop and it came to a dead stop with a reasonably gentle nose over.  No damage at all.

Having failed to pass my A before the end of the holiday, I did wonder if I would manage it on 1 gallon of fuel, but that is looking dodgy too, since I must have about 1/20th of the gallon left!! 

Lesson 14 

Well I went flying again yesterday.  The weather recently has been much better- unfortunately being back at work means time isn't as easy to come by as before. 

The field was busy, and Andy was working overtime as there were 3 or 4 of us learners waiting with varying degrees of patience for him to take us up.

It was very much a day of 2 halves, as on the flying side everything went really well.  All but one of my landings had the engine still running!  I also did some approaches and landings from the other end of the field when the wind turned (albeit still very light).

The day was spoiled with technical problems though- I don't know if it was my glow plug or my charger that was causing problems, but I did spent an inordinate amount of time getting my engine started, and that was with a borrowed glow start.  I think it just needed charging, but even so it was frustrating.

• 2 months later...

David asked for an update- and I hadn't realised I'd been made sticky!!

I feel as if I am in a bit if a strange situation.  I now fly solo all the time, but still haven't passed my "A".  I'm not sure how I have ended up like this, and maybe I ought to have a word- I think most people think/assume I have my A; although I am a bit careful when there are certain "older gentlemen" around.  The club rules are simple- no A, no solo; but my main instructor is happy for me just to fly- and he is on the comittee.  I don't know if this is something to do with difficulties in getting an instructor down, or whether everyone has forgotten, or something else.  I don't think it's because they think I will fail it, as I am friendly with my instructor and I am sure he would have told me if this was the case- and he also wouldn't let me fly solo. 

I am flying in weather conditions I wouldn't have dreamed of before.  Strong winds have thrown me around, and meant I couldn't relax for a minute.  They really test your throttle control.  I remember one time I was making a landing approach and cut the throttle and the plane went up and backwards!!  (I had an instructor for that one).  Still got it down on the strip and in one piece though!

The problem is that whilst I am confident I could pass my A, the weather conditions make it difficult to get regular flying in.  This means I lose the feel for my plane a bit, and it takes a while to get back to a comfort level.  I haven't flown properly for weeks now- but I am not sure if it's going to be like riding a bike when I get another session in.  I managed a pass out last weekend and it was a perfect day- if a little chilly.  I set off driving with my sunglasses on to shield me from the low winter sun; and when I got to the flying field I had my fog lights on!!

So I have a nasty feeling the winter might be spent not making any progress and snatching flights where possible. 

The other problem is the questions.  Everyone says don't worry, they are common sense, but they are not.  OK, some of the H&S ones are, and I know the local no fly areas.  But others are to do with all kinds of things.  I remember one day down at the field and someone had turned up with some mystery radio gear- might have been a newbie.  It was 35MHz and it wasn't labelled with a channel number, but the actual frequency.  There were about 6 experienced flyers gathered around it trying to convert the frequency to a channel, but only I knew how to do it.  That is one of the questions, and I couldn't do it now- and besides, I fly 2.4 so I have no need.  I am not going to keep doing practise questions month after month in case I suddenly get offered the chance to do my A,

But don't worry- I will let everyone know when I actually pass my "A"

This is a facinating account of learning to fly, thanks for the insight into your experience Andy. I would love to know more details about how your flight box has expanded over time, what you've needed to borrow etc. I was also thinking about your A dilemar, sounds like you should ask to take it in x hours time, or set a date and go for it. (weather permitting)

I think the certification scheme of the BMFA is like most other such schemes - it just shows that on the day you were able to perform the prescribed tasks and manouevres to the examiner's satisfaction.  Having an "A" cert doesn't "prove" that you're a better pilot than someone who hasn't.  However, I decided to take the "A" simply because some clubs require that you have it to be allowed to fly solo.  Simple as that.  I'm now working towards the "B" simply because doing so imposes a certain discipline and gives me a target to work to.  I have absolutely no doubt that there are lots and lots of pilots who have never attempted to take the "A" and who could pass it without thinking.  But they shouldn't then grumble if when they join a new club they are not allowed to fly solo until they've "proven" their skills.  Like lots of things, the certification scheme isn't perfect, but it proves a certain level of competence has been attained and, in my opinion, is a lot better than nothing at all.

Cheers,

Tim.

I don't think there's anything seriously wrong with the scheme, but I do feel a bit in limbo. 

The weather is so inconsistent it is impossible to book a date with an examiner.  As it is, I am flying solo albeit "unofficially" which is better than me being grounded all winter and then having to start again in March/April.  Maybe a good way to describe it would be to sat that whilst I haven't passed my A, the club has given me a basic flying certificate!!

My flying box seem to be gradually taking over my house!!

It's not really the flying equipment thats expanded too much, but as a builder I have taken over half the office and planes keep sneaking out into forbidden places like the front room.  I currently have:

• Jumper 25 (my trainer)
  • 90% complete Flair Fokker DVII
  • Flair fledgling 72" 2 channel glider

The glider was bought as a quickie whilst waiting for bits for the DVII- build blog on the forum.  I am already asking santa for some engines for the next project- got a few ideas- one of which is the Ziroli Stuka- but I don't think Santa has room in his sack for a 50cc petrol engine!!!

Tim Kearsley wrote (see)

I think the certification scheme of the BMFA is like most other such schemes - it just shows that on the day you were able to perform the prescribed tasks and manouevres to the examiner's satisfaction.  Having an "A" cert doesn't "prove" that you're a better pilot than someone who hasn't.  However, I decided to take the "A" simply because some clubs require that you have it to be allowed to fly solo.  Simple as that.  I'm now working towards the "B" simply because doing so imposes a certain discipline and gives me a target to work to.  I have absolutely no doubt that there are lots and lots of pilots who have never attempted to take the "A" and who could pass it without thinking.  But they shouldn't then grumble if when they join a new club they are not allowed to fly solo until they've "proven" their skills.  Like lots of things, the certification scheme isn't perfect, but it proves a certain level of competence has been attained and, in my opinion, is a lot better than nothing at all.

Cheers,

Tim.

Spot on Tim

now that i have joined a club i guess i should start thinking about the A, i think it is better to use electric to leanr in the winter cause you just walk up the slope with your warm gloves on, take them off, slide in a battery plug it in, put your gloves back on and lob it into the air with glow you have to haul a big wooden/plastic box up, fuel it up for about 5 minutes, prime it, flick it, put the glow stick on, connect electric starter, realise your battery is flat, use wooden stick get it running up to temperature, get it out onto the runway without it stalling, launch it without stalling and fly, a very big difference i would think it would be easier to learn in the summer as it is warmer and you get more good days in sequence, one summer week i got to go flying 4 days in a row!!!

A superb honest account Andy. I wouldn't worry too much about the 'A ' from the club perspective - they have to be practical until you can take the test and if you're flying to a good standard then that's what's most important. If they were concerned then I'd think they would have someone standing by you when you fly.

It's that time of year at the moment when none of us fly very much - it's been 2 weeks now for me which seems like a lifetime Things soon come back together again when you get back to the patch though and a little simulator time helps keep the reflexes up to scratch.

You sound like an electric convert if ever I heard one Peter...

Nothing like landing an IC jobby though and putting one gloved hand then the other on the warm muffler for instant relief. I always need to concentrate on all my rechargables through the colder months, a higher self discharge means top everything up before each session.

I actually really enjoy Winter flying, as long as I'm at a site without the wind coming from the SW.....makes take off's and landings interesting.

Thermal pants under overalls (these keep the wind from your middle), thick secondary woolly socks in my wellies, fleese, overcoat, thinsulate fingerless gloves and thinsulate hat keeps me warm as toast and keeps my hobby going. A mate and I flew this afternoon together in 2 degrees but flat calm conditions and both agreed it was a great session, he maidened his Funjet and I flew my EDF with it.

I'm still waiting for my club to pick me up on only having an SMAE 'A' from the eightys, I think because I fly a range of models, they just assume I passed the BMFA 'A' cert in my last club....

Keep going Andy, great stuff matey.........

http://forums.modelflying.co.uk/sites/3/images/member_albums/29079/Copy_of_DSC01255.JPG

An BMFA "A" as our SAA "Bronze" can be useful. Don,t worry about it though, it is quite normal for clubs to have a newish member flying by themselves after showing capable of reasonable ability. I WAS slow  , another chap with twenty flights to my one, was still on the "needs a members supervision" when I got freedom  .

Been a good thread this.

Hi Andy as a beginner also I am having the same problems as yourself.I started Electric, and my first models were throw in the air take off chappies,and I longed to do it from the ground.When I joined a club they of course had a landing strip and the oppotunity to do proper take offs arrived.AS you say,The model doesnt seem to react the same every take off.Mind you Ive watched some of the club stalwarts who seem to take off and land every which way going without aflutter of emotion whereas we would probably stop and have another go.Ifind the consentrating on throttle and elevator is enough and the steering on the rudder a bit haphazard because a soon as it lifts it veers the way you were steering it more dramatically and you quickly have to counteract that direction.My instructor reduced the rate on the rudder because I was oversteering and that has helped.The landing is just as entertaining because you come in  50 feet to high or over correct and come in short.I did have to instructors at the same times 1 day giving me conradictory instuctions at the same time,so that was entertaining.I have recently acquired a  2nd hand I/C trainer,so fell IM starting over.I do think different instructors does help because they do trim your model differently and sometimes it feels better and more comfortable,and by asking what they have done it gives a feel of abit of up ,bit of down bit of level where different instructors trim a model to there The blog is grat and very informative and help[ful Thanksfavourite feel which may not be yours.

David Martin 2 wrote (see)

You sound like an electric convert if ever I heard one Peter...

Nothing like landing an IC jobby though and putting one gloved hand then the other on the warm muffler for instant relief. I always need to concentrate on all my rechargables through the colder months, a higher self discharge means top everything up before each session.

I actually really enjoy Winter flying, as long as I'm at a site without the wind coming from the SW.....makes take off's and landings interesting.

Thermal pants under overalls (these keep the wind from your middle), thick secondary woolly socks in my wellies, fleese, overcoat, thinsulate fingerless gloves and thinsulate hat keeps me warm as toast and keeps my hobby going. A mate and I flew this afternoon together in 2 degrees but flat calm conditions and both agreed it was a great session, he maidened his Funjet and I flew my EDF with it.

I'm still waiting for my club to pick me up on only having an SMAE 'A' from the eightys, I think because I fly a range of models, they just assume I passed the BMFA 'A' cert in my last club....

Keep going Andy, great stuff matey.........

http://forums.modelflying.co.uk/sites/3/images/member_albums/29079/Copy_of_DSC01255.JPG

infact, i started on electrics, then moved to glow just recently, i have always wanted a spitfire! the one i made out of depron, how can i put it, the ailerons turned to rudders if you catch my drift i just got my dad to launch it, then the bloody thing saluted

My mate's got the Ripmax Spitfire and it launches and flies sooo well, made me wonder why I spent mega $$$ on this one. He just walks up the hill from his house, connects a lipo, lobs it, flies for 10 minutes, softly nestles it down, maybe another lipo, then walks home. Very easy to fly but I wouldn't have thought it would take a knock well....

http://forums.modelflying.co.uk/sites/3/images/member_albums/29079/DSCN2835_0.jpg

Sorry Andy, off thread mate....