How accurate is Phoenix 5.5.1

Sam Longley

I have just been given a copy of phoenix 5.5.1 for a birthday present. I have played with the Ultimate Ultimate Biplane Sport -1.947 wingspan & it flies beautifully.

Does anyone know who actually makes this exact model as there are a few Ultimate bipes on the market all different sizes. When i tried a different ultimate bipe on phoenix it was miles different.

I would buy the one phoenix was modeled on but does Phoenix actually represent a fair assessment of its performance.

The next question concerns my current 2 models - a Hanger 9 SBach & a Ripmax Acrowot.

Neither of these are in the list of planes which is a pity. I have tried the Sbach that phoenix has & it is nothing like the Hanger 9 one I have

Has anyone found a good match model for the Acrowot & does anyone have a Hanger 9 Sbach & found a near match for that as well

How do users get on with trying to match models to the ones they have when phoenix is lacking in designs?

Advert

The thing I like about Phoenix, Sam, is flying models that I do not own, like jets

I get your point about practicing on the ones you do own

Phoenix does online upgrades, so watch out for upgrades

I don't know how many models are on Phoenix, but there are more than enough to approximate model flying in my opinion

Try the models similar to yours, but bear in mind their are differences in identical models down at the field

Edited By Denis Watkins on 14/02/2017 18:44:46

The difficulty definitely needs increasing to 100%.

Sometimes you need to play with control throw settings and some other stuff, too.

Phoenix is generally great although it has a couple of real issues, model behaviour when the wind is turned on, in particular, is very strange.

Posted by Nigel R on 16/02/2017 14:11:49:

The difficulty definitely needs increasing to 100%.

Sometimes you need to play with control throw settings and some other stuff, too.

Have not worked out how to do either of those yet. Especially control throw settings.

I have to fly with my finger on the elevator applying a little up all the time. I do not mind this too much as I tend to fly like that in real life with a tiny bit of pressure on the stick, but adjusting trim on the transmitter does nothing- unlike real life

All the models that you have in the sim can be edited. They can be made the same size, weight, etc etc as the ones you own.

When you have chosen the model make that you own, or the nearest to it, go to edit and then you will see all the parameters that you can change, Thus you should be able to get near to your real model.

Also, it seems that you may not have seen all the models made by users other than the PHOENIX ONES.

There are many for you to download. There may be one of the model you own..

good luck

Yes, definitely worth having a look for user made models.

"It is not good practice for you learning with a stick input held"

Depends on the model, I would say the 3d types you want set up as neutral as possible which will mean a slight dive when right side up as well as wrong side up.

Posted by Nigel R on 23/02/2017 08:55:26:

Yes, definitely worth having a look for user made models.

"It is not good practice for you learning with a stick input held"

Depends on the model, I would say the 3d types you want set up as neutral as possible which will mean a slight dive when right side up as well as wrong side up.

Can you tell me where to find user model please.

When i installed the 5.5 programe it updated to 5.1 & i assumed that was all the models available

As for stick input. I would respectfully suggest that you have contradicted yourself. If the model does not fly level in upright flight then one has to apply stick input. If one has it set up as you suggest to have a slight dive then it will end in tears if left to its own devices.

I just find it more comfortable to let my left thumb rest on the stick.I know where I am & because I am mechanical & not intuitive with the controls it helps as i always know where up is.

Ok Sam, people are trying to help you, and when flying, our fingers dont leave the sticks until we switch flaps or retracts or trim, and even then flyers keep close to the sticks

Accept their help and dont keep throwing it back at them LoL

Google, Online Phoenix User Models and you will get a whole list of them

They are on the Phoenix website

Also look at all the updates for the most recent

Posted by Denis Watkins on 23/02/2017 10:12:27:

Ok Sam, people are trying to help you, and when flying, our fingers dont leave the sticks until we switch flaps or retracts or trim, and even then flyers keep close to the sticks

Accept their help and dont keep throwing it back at them LoL

Google, Online Phoenix User Models and you will get a whole list of them

They are on the Phoenix website

Also look at all the updates for the most recent

Denis

I am not trying to throw anything back & always appreciate advice. However, Are you saying that i cannot ask the reasoning behind that advice other than accept it as gospel? I have spent my life in business questioning authority & cannot get out of the habit. So if I sound argumentive then I apologise - it is an inbuilt mentality. But let's be honest about this if on one hand one is telling me that one should not hold the stick to hold level flight then tells me to trim the plane to dive I think It is reasonable for the brain to question why.

I was not actually asking how to hold the sticks I really wanted some hints on using Phoenix.- partly I suppose due to laziness-

I have not yet found the Phoenix website & the post has told me to look for one so thanks for that & I will now start the search as I have something to look for. That has achieved what i wanted & I am grateful

Cheers

Sam L

"As for stick input. I would respectfully suggest that you have contradicted yourself"

Perhaps you misunderstand what I wrote.

A 3d aerobat should be trimmed to fly exactly the same right way up as upside down. That means a slight dive towards terra firma. Correct with up when upwards. Correct with down when inverted. The neutral trim prevents unwanted errors during knife edge, hover & vertical.

Other model types - straight and level with hands off.

YMMV.

• 3 weeks later...