2.4Ghz - Getting the best link

Home WiFi often operates on 2.4GHz, and often the "receiver" is located through walls and floors, physically above and below the Transmitter (Router).

A piece of advice read today in an article on how to get a better WiFi signal caught my eye:-

For maximum signal strength, position your router’s antenna vertically, pointing straight up. If you have two antennas, you won’t get better performance by pointing them in different directions.

Errr........ Yes............. Well..................

Advert

Yes that is correct I have always done that, think of donuts around the antenna as the signal radiation so where the tip of the antenna points to gets the least signal virtually none .

thats why when i see some makes of Tx's with fixed antennas that point out the top so when holding the antenna it points at the model you are flying, really does make me wonder have they really thought it throughindecision

Posted by Martin Harris on 08/03/2017 22:46:38:

I once tried an experiment with a 2.4 MHz module equipped radio. I flew a model as far and high from me as I was comfortable with and pointed the aerial directly at the model. There was no effect on control whatsoever...

Yup, I have done the same experiment and had the same results. . The controls were fine.

B.C.

Posted by Martin Harris on 08/03/2017 22:46:38:

I once tried an experiment with a 2.4 MHz module equipped radio. I flew a model as far and high from me as I was comfortable with and pointed the aerial directly at the model. There was no effect on control whatsoever...

Futaba, I suppose?

There will always be signal nulls for whatever reason but these will only be momentary as the model is moving and I am willing to believe the propagation and polarisation shifts on the way to the model.

As all modellers know the only cause of crashes is interference or some modellers know that their make of radio is the only one that is reliable and anyone foolish enough to use another make is crazy.

The same old wives tales persists from the earliest days regardless of total changes in technology.

Whilst the basic rules of propagation remain true (sort of) the only common factor left is installation and batterys. The biggest issue is to get those aerials away from screening influences and servo wires etc. Also do not bend the wires close to the Rx in a desperate attempt to get them at exactly 90 degrees. Don't get hung up about position go for a nice neat installation with the aerial pointing in a diffeeent way and keep em in the clear. As for tx aerial I leave it alone at the angle it sits in the carrying box. Twisting it around every flight is asking for trouble. I even had one modeller move mine whilst I was flying. You can imagine what I wanted to twist round

All this is relevant guys, especially Gangsters comments of repeated reference on forums to get the installation the best that it can be in the tiny spaces we have.

And Ken, the signals are everywhere, not precisely on our Tx frequency but an observation here

You can get a 2.4gig app on your phone, and at our field, we stood in the pilots box with the app, and we had 11 x 2.4 gig signals received, with our TXs switched off, and 3 of the 11 signals were stronger than 1/10 watt.

Our gear is not designed to receive these signals, but they reached our pilots box 1000 feet from houses and business units

Interesting

There are of course thousands of 2.4ghz signals everywhere. But that is why it works on a frequency shift basis. We must also remember we must not think in analogue terms any more as regards capacity. Those old enough to remember dial a disc will remember the distorted narrow band music coming out of the phone. Now that same pair of wires can stream several hi definition video signals. The only use of a 2.4 app is to generate paranoia and loss of confidence is the greatest way to crash a plane