Overlander RC6-VSP chargers

IanR

I have 2 of these chargers, bought at separate times. When using my battery checker, I see that the older one "stores" at 36% capacity whilst the more recent purchase stores at 51% capacity.

Which is correct and is it important to store at a particular capacity?

Thanks, Ian.

Opinions vary on what voltage = what SOC (the discharge curves for lipos do vary subtly between packs of different chemistries & C ratings). However if you are storing your packs somewhere between 3.75-3.85V/cell you will be fine; the main thing is not to store fully charged.

Edited By MattyB on 31/03/2017 16:01:29

Nope, sorry, Matty. I don't understand anything from your above 2 posts except for the advice to store somewhere between 3.75-3.85V/cell.

But then what is upsetting me is that I thought we were aiming to store at a particular capacity in mAh. when my battery checker shows either 51% or 36%.

After my first charger dis-charged to 51% I connected the same battery to my second charger and, after approx. 35 minutes, it had dropped the capacity to 36%. I did not make a note of the voltages.

Should I simply ignore the capacities in mAh and concentrate on getting somewhere between 3.75-3.85V/cell ?

Ian

Posted by IanR on 31/03/2017 16:31:01:

Should I simply ignore the capacities in mAh and concentrate on getting somewhere between 3.75-3.85V/cell ?

Ian

Yes, that's correct. Anywhere in that range will be fine; the exact value is not really important. The reason those values are recommended is because the lower the voltage the less the capacity degradation over time, but you do not want to store so low that self discharge of the batt could causes it to dip below the 3.2-3V/ cell range where damage via a different mechanism can occur.

Edited By MattyB on 31/03/2017 19:31:32

• 4 months later...

Hello Ian,

Did you get to the bottom of the various storage states?

I reported a problem to Overlander last year regarding the storage voltage function of the RC6 but never got around to sending mine to them.

If you 'google' what the voltage should be for storing lipo's you get 3.85V per cell, the Overlander user manual also itself states this.

When I use mine to discharge/charge to storage state, it takes the batteries to 3.7V per cell which is the base rating for a lipo cell.

What did/do you get on yours if you use the storage function?

regards

Steve

• 4 years later...

Sorry for dragging up an old thread. I have this charger and have been converted into life batteries for rx pack but I am not sure how I go about charging them.

I have this charger and it says it does lipo and life but I can't find anywhere in the options for life, just lipo. Does it auto detect for life when it reads the voltage or am I missing something? Don't want to pop my first battery.

25 minutes ago, Graeme White said:

Sorry for dragging up an old thread. I have this charger and have been converted into life batteries for rx pack but I am not sure how I go about charging them.

I have this charger and it says it does lipo and life but I can't find anywhere in the options for life, just lipo. Does it auto detect for life when it reads the voltage or am I missing something? Don't want to pop my first battery.

Ignore me, after faffing through every option it seems I have to manual change the battery type in settings before going to charge option. I would delete my post if possible to save dragging up this old thread.