Seagull's Bowers Flybaby, what engine?

tigerman

Like the look of the Seagull Bowers Flybaby model .Seagull recommend a 15cc engine for this model.What is that in old money? I was hoping to fit my Laser 80 in this model but I get confused these day with the petrol motors now only being recommened Can anyone tell me what 15cc is in four stoke terms ie 80 ,90 or 120 ?

Posted by Percy Verance on 31/03/2017 22:30:45:

A Laser 80 will fly it beautifully..... yes 15cc equates to .90 and a 1.20 is usually considered to be 20cc

Edited By Percy Verance on 31/03/2017 22:32:28

Agreed. I recommended this exact combo to a customer earlier this week. Nice simple side mounted install and you are good to go.

I wouldn't go by Seagulls recommendation as they too seem to be confused by the translation from glow sized to the newer (trendy) cc size info.

A couple up at the club have been caught out , one building their steen bi plane with the recommended 15 cc petrol power plant only to find it almost dangerously under powered when he flew it first time.

Look at the wingspan, length & weight and go from there , personally I would be looking at a Saito 82 four stroke for the flybaby.

Edited By Justin K. on 01/04/2017 06:58:27

Jon is absolutely right about the Seagull Gipsy Moth .I have a Seagull Gipsy Moth and on Jon recommendation I brought and put the Laser 80 in the Gipsy Moth .It fly a treat. I dread to think what a 120 would do in the Gypsy Moth .Turn it into a Gypsy Moth Pitts Special .The Laser 80 fly it around just right with a bit a bit of power left in hand but on half throttle fly it around really scale like and just open it upon a loop and it looks just great