Roy Scott's Practical Scale Tiger Moth

After a bit of wheeler dealing I swapped a model I wasn't very comfortable for this model which was built and covered. I managed to find a supplier of the plan on line to see what was what. Whatever was done appeared to have been done to the plan/inst. First job was to sort out the rudder cable system as it exited the fuselage through the side of the rear cockpit, so I removed the cables cut slots in sides and made rudder bar, and new cables and bar cover's. I am doing it to the best of my ability as my hands are like claws with restricted movement through rheu. arfur, therefore I am nowhere near the league of you intrepid builders, and posted on here because Sir Ian asked as he see's Roys sons sometimes.

tiger moth 006.jpg

Advert

Struggled to work out how to make it so the inner telescopic tube did not fall out of outer tube and came up with the idea of a leather gaiter cable tied above the spring stops. There is still a lot of work to do, tex tightening up and more detail etc, but this is where I am at the moment and thoroughly enjoying it.

John

You're doing a better job than I could and I don't have your medical condition!

Being ex navy did you ever come across the guy on the right, he's hardly inconspicuous!  He served all of his working life in the RN, played in the second row in their rugby team and I believe that he was in charge of the anti-aircraft defence of an aircraft carrier.

slec fun flies! (1).jpg

Edited By David Davis on 05/05/2017 04:45:26

Thank you David, although I think it flatters to deceive laugh

Re your picture, I'm afraid I do not recognise him, he does look a bit like someone I knew named Flash Moran, and he probably was General Service whereas I was Fleet Air Arm.

John

Re the u/c. On the existing fixed one the two front torsion legs are spread apart and slotted into a tube that is epoxied across the fuselage between two hardwood blocks. Thinking of a way to utilise this tube for working undercarriage was to push some 3mm allthread through slide legs over and lock with nuts. after going to different fixings suppliers ,a model engineers shop, BnQ etc could not get any. Had some 3mm piano wire in garage, went through my taps n dies box found a 6ba die, cut the length I wanted and run the die down both ends, job done. Could have saved a wasted morning travelling about. Need to just cut the two front legs to size now and drill for the fixing. Going to cut and hinge the fibre glass cowl and hopefully make some fasteners, my mate "Mr Arris" on here has all my Moth books for his 1/3rd scale one he is building on here when he can extract his digit and get on with it.sarcastic

Posted by Jez Harris 1 on 08/05/2017 20:58:11:
Hi John..

Looking great mate!

Ive got your moth books etc here if you need them plus a few of my own..I also have a CD with over 1500 pics and diagrams.

Jez

Jez

Are you able to help with putting some dimensions arround the P1 / P2 controls for the throttle and trim?

Posted by Jez Harris 1 on 08/05/2017 20:58:11:
Hi John..

Looking great mate!

Ive got your moth books etc here if you need them plus a few of my own..I also have a CD with over 1500 pics and diagrams.

Jez
Hi matey, don't worry Jez I know where they are if and when I need any.
Do you think you can get back onto the "Big un " now the closed season is here, we need inspiration yes
RGN (Richard) sent me his cd of those pictures he took in South Africa and his build so hopefully ok. Maybe for the next one, after the Jug blush, as there are a few things I would have done different on this one if it had not been built.
Take care, speak soon mate.
John