Vintage Wheels

Advert

Hi David,

Dubro's vintage wheels are indeed quite expensive... and also - maybe that's the reason wink - quite 'heavy'.

Why don't you make your own? It's fairly easy... and lightweight.

You need a 6mm balsa (or Depron, even lighter) core in the diameter that is required, two 0,5mm ply roundels (about 10mm larger) glued on each side to make the rim, a piece of brass, ABS or snake outer to make the 'bearing' in the center and two 12 or 15mm ply roundels (one at each side) to reinforce the center for the axle. Your tyre is a length of rubber tubing or neoprene rod (diameter 10 > 12mm) glued to itself and to the rim with neoprene glue. A scrap piece of Solartex ironed on each side... et voilà. yes

09.jpg

The text of the picture above is in French but states exactly what I wrote above.

Hope this helps

Cheers

Chris

Thanks Chris, I have been considering making my own but wanted to see if anyone knew of any other possible sources.

Only part of your description I did not follow was:

"and two 12 or 15mm ply roundels (one at each side) to reinforce the center for the axle."

I understand the centre balsa section and the two ply sides plus the bearing, but don't see the 12 - 25mm roundels on the drawing in the article.

Do I need glasses?

Thanks Dwain,

I've had a phone round and Williams Brothers wheels are a bit thin on the ground in the size I am after but Sussex Models hope to have some in about 10 days. So I just have to decide if I want to pay about £30 for a pair of wheels or have a go at making them myself.

Thanks for your input.

Hi again, David.

Well, so sorry if I wasn't clear enough, but DD 'guessed' it right.

The smallish ply roundels are in fact doublers for the rim - at each side - with a central hole for the axle.

You can see them on the 'side' view in the pic above.

If you want to go for an even more 'realistic' look, then you can use some tooth picks (or thin bbq skewers) and glue them between that central ply doubler and the edge of the rim as to imitate some spokes. Once covered with Solartex, it simply looks great.

And for £30 you can have about 10 pairs of them... wink

Cheers

Chris

Hi David

I also went the DYI route to make wheels for my Bleriot.

There are some pictures on my web: **LINK**

bleriot_wheels.jpg

If you choose English and click on the photos there is a little explanation.

Later I used neoprane cord instead of foam.

B

Edited By Birgir on 11/05/2017 22:04:18

Posted by fly boy3 on 11/05/2017 21:07:56:

Hi David, may have a pair of wheels in the attic saved from a long long gone Magnatilla.Cant quite remember the exact diam.Will check ASAP if that,s any good. Cheers.ps what model are you building ? I do remember they were Williams. Bros.

Hi, I am building a Fokker D. VIII it's actually the Peter Miller plan and requires 4 3/8 wheels of a suitable style. Let me know what you have and If they are suitable what you want for them.

Thank you

David

Howdy all,

Normally I try and avoid commenting due to the huge amount time and effort involved in our manufacturing activities and very personal attachment although I usually follow with interest what has been said. However, there is a certain phrase on this forum which will rattle around in my brain until addressed. Firstly, I can confirm we do stock Williams Brothers items and you can judge the prices for yourselves over on our website. We place occasional large orders direct and have very recently taken delivery of one such order. The stock on the website is mostly accurate although with recently having moved premises and occasionally selling bits to friends it does very occasionally report incorrectly but that is very infrequent and should improve even more once we've reorganised following the move.

Obviously these wheels are available for certain of our models but many people prefer to spend a bit less having often saved up for the price of the kit. For the price we charge, I think the wheels plus hub caps make a valued choice for our modellers and are very popular. They have been used to good effect by huge amounts of people. Obviously if the Vintage wheels are your preference and your funds allow it then you're very welcome to choose those but i feel 'naff' is a little harsh.

Lastly, I am currently on holidays (more forum reading time) having put it off for a very long time and milestone birthdays (not mine) should be marked with something special regardless of work even if I'm very keen to get my new workshop up to speed. Although not entirely holiday as people could have seen me and the Wife walking around Florida Top Gun in our "DB Sport and Scale" branded leisure wear and someone did flag me down in the Magic Kingdom commending me on my shirt - he had his local RC club shirt on As it happens I was also the winner of the local club raffle at Top Gun so maybe our photos will appear in a publication somewhere and I've had to purchase some tools to dismantle my new, shiny (hope it stays that way) EDF jet. Sadly it is foam but other than that, it's surprised me with the amount of scale detail and sturdiness of it but then it's certainly not at the budget end of the scale - woohoo, very happy with that as all types of models have their place in our hangars.

anyway, I digress, that's what sunburn, dehydration and a couple (plus a couple) of beers does I guess. Website placed orders will still be packed and sent by my Sister whilst I am away. And now I shall try to not read forums for the rest of hols (yeah right)....

thanks folks

Richard

no offence precisely because I had already followed your thread keenly. Including the aviary build discussions. Very nice build and blog but, again, I try and refrain from posts as it just gets too complicated but sometimes these posts do popup in search results (like when the business was for sale, that has been a pain to get rid of) which is why I had to answer the particular term used. Plus I do buy in loads of Williams Brothers stuff.

If you saw how many times I nodded off at the pool you'd realise how long that would take if I hadn't already read it. I dropped my kindle on the floor and on my face a great many times today!

With it being dinner time, I am now off out to glow red amongst the tanned locals. Classy.

Best wishes to you and your lovely Moth. Staying off the forums lasted all of a few minutes!

• 8 months later...