Operational Guide, All Models and Radio Control

I'm seeking an elusive (to me), BMFA study document for the A, B, R/C Achievement Scheme.

OK, I'm only a humble end user but I've typed 'Operational Guide, All Models and Radio Control' into the BMFA search box, Google search box AND RCM&E forum search box and get no direct link results.

(I get a '404 page cannot display' on the RCM&E reply, nothing on BMFA web site and only quotes that users must study the above document on other sites but no actual links to it).

Please someone kindly assist ....

Advert

Mmm ... yes I've got that, been there but there's no specific document / chapter (I can find), entitled ' Operational Guide, All Models and Radio Control'. (If it's there it's doing a great job hiding from me!)

And ... Yes, I have been reading CAP658, 'A Flying Start', The 'A' & 'B' R/C Achievement Scheme documents and of course the 'wonderful' BMFA Handbook!

Examiners and Candidates Check List for Slopers, from BMFAGuidance notes

The following is a short checklist of matters to discuss with the candidate taken from this
document. This checklist can be used to ensure that all points raised above have been
discussed with the pilot prior to any flights:
1 Has the candidate read: -
The BMFA handbook
Local site rules (if applicable)
'Safety Code for General Flying'
and 'Operational Guide, All Models and Radio Control'.

Edited By Denis Watkins on 12/05/2017 20:16:23

See bottom notes for Helicopter test

A candidate wishing to take the ‘B’ must already have passed the ‘A’ in that discipline.
However where a candidate presents for a B test who does not already hold an ‘A’ certificate
it is acceptable for the candidate to complete the flying portion of the ‘A’ test successfully
and then move immediately to the flying portion of the ‘B’ test before attempting the test
questions.
If the candidate passes the ‘A’ flying test but fails the ‘B’, then you should ask the ‘A’
questions. If the candidate passes both the ‘A’ and the ‘B’ flying tests, then you should ask
the ‘B’ questions.
Note that the ‘A’ flying test does not finish until the model has been retrieved and the post
flight checks have been completed
The candidate for the 'B' should have studied the BMFA handbook and CAP 658 and be
familiar with the 'Safety Code for General Flying', any local site rules (if applicable), the
'Operational Guide, All Models and Radio Control' and the 'Safety Code for Model Flying
Displays'. Most of the questions asked at the end of the test will be from these sections of
the handbook and CAP658.

General club rules

A candidate wishing to take the ‘B’ must already have passed the ‘A’ in that discipline.
The candidate should have studied the BMFA handbook, any local site rules (if applicable) and be familiar with the 'Safety Code for General Flying' and the 'Operational Guide,

Posted by Denis Watkins on 12/05/2017 20:19:08:

The candidate for the 'B' should have studied the BMFA handbook and CAP 658 and be
familiar with the 'Safety Code for General Flying', any local site rules (if applicable), the
'Operational Guide, All Models and Radio Control' and the 'Safety Code for Model Flying
Displays'. Most of the questions asked at the end of the test will be from these sections of
the handbook and CAP658.

Don't these simply refer to parts of the handbook - "Most of the questions asked at the end of the test will be from these sections of the handbook and CAP658" ?  e.g. Guide to the Safe Operation of Model Aircraft.

Edited By Martin Harris on 12/05/2017 20:29:21

Everyone so far ... YES, you are all quoting the (exact) texts that I'm reading from too but just where is the document entitled 'Operational Guide, All Models and Radio Control' that keeps being referred to?

If it is not a specific stand-alone document, then why is it inferred as such?

I can easily find lots of sentences & paragraphs within the BMFA Handbook, CAP658 and 'A'/'B' Test literature on the best practice on how to operate an Aircraft/Glider/Helicopter/Small Unmanned Aircraft (SUA) etc.

Similarly, paragraphs & sentences on the best practice for operating ones Radio Control Tx/Rx etc.

I'm sure that the words "from these sections of the handbook" infer that the references are not to separate publications...

I haven't examined any slope tests but I've never departed from the references above when asking questions for power tests and I'm pretty certain that the requirements aren't any different in this respect. Just familiarise yourself with them and I'm sure you'll be OK. The test guidance and requirements aren't subject to the scrutiny of legal scripting experts before publication and nobody is trying to catch candidates out so I wouldn't get stressed over this slight anomaly...

From my experience and guidance received at workshops, the B questions tend to concentrate much more on the display aspect of model flying - after all, it is seen as a base qualification by many organisers - so the wording suggesting learning about all aspects of model flying in the reference to those sections of the handbook makes sense if you ignore the probable accidental misuse of the quotation marks.

Edited By Martin Harris on 13/05/2017 01:07:20

Posted by Capt Kremen on 12/05/2017 23:21:24:

Everyone so far ... YES, you are all quoting the (exact) texts that I'm reading from too but just where is the document entitled 'Operational Guide, All Models and Radio Control' that keeps being referred to?

If it is not a specific stand-alone document, then why is it inferred as such?

'Operational Guide, All Models and Radio Control'

As others have pointed out, this is in what is just a summary check list following up the main document, and these words are intended to refer to specific sections of the Members Handbook.

I don’t think it has caused any confusion in the past, but I agree it could be written better and now that it has been pointed out it probably will be updated.

I went to our BMFA Area meeting this week on behalf of my club and we were informed that a new Members Handbook will be issued very soon, so it may be prudent to wait and see if the section headings change before changing any references to them.

Dick

Interesting question! Dick W points out that the wording of that section of the Test refers to these named sections in the handbook. The actual text reads as follows:

"most of the questions asked at the end of the test will be from these sections of the handbook and CAP 658"

Using the 2010 handbook, the Safety Codes run from page 17 to 19.

At the top of Page 20, the heading is "The BMFA Guides to the Safe Operation of Model Aircraft". This is what is being referred to as "Operational Guide, all models and Radio Control". There is no other document to which you are being referred and this does indeed cover all models (free flight and control line as well, although why you would ask a question on either type for an RC test is beyond me) and a section on radio control. So pages 20 to 47 would be required for an A Cert while this would extend to mid way through page 51.

Don't forget that there are two Addnedum booklets one dated Dec 2011 and the other May 2013 and these both contain safety and operational information to amend and enhance the 2010 Handbook. So don't forget to read these as well as the answer being sought might be in them.

Hope that helps you Capt Kremen.

As Dick W has also pointed out, the revised BMFA Handbook is due to be published later in the year and that should do away with the need to look at the 2 Addendum booklets I referred to above. However, there may well be Addenda issued after the new Handbook has been published as the CAA make further changes to the ANO.