No Fly Zones for Drones in the UK

Giuseppe Saroli

I was flying my DJI drone as usual in safe mode 30m up 30m radius to get the hang of it before i try the maximum 100m in a field near onley MK 46 area and more than once there is a biplanes where i can see the pilot problably 100m a couple microlight just as low if not even lower a hot air ballon last year so low you could talk to the people in basket there were not landing just flying low! and sometime there is 2 plane doing aerobatic high up mind you,since i want to be safe i use the no fly drone app you can see on the map that i am a long long way to the nearest no fly zone oe restritect area, so i should be safe to fly wright!

So why are all this low flying aircraft flying so looowww whats going on

I have now stop flying there

Are they flying legaly or allowed to fly so low ,how do they know that there is a drone in the area or a rc plane for that matter

Should i stay or should i go

Advert

If you are in the right place doing the right things you have no reason to leave, and if the full size aircraft are in the wrong place doing the wrong thing then it is the pilots of those aircraft that will have their collars felt. if you feel they are operating outside of the regs then each will have its registration written all over it. As an absolute last resort you could record/report this information and see how things go.

A better bet might be to see if there is an airfield local to you and checking with them to see if the area you fly in has been unofficially designated for engine failure practice or similar as this could explain the low flying. The fact that there are guy's flying aero's there as well suggests it could be a designated area for something. informing the airfield that you fly at that location might be helpful as they can inform their pilots

BTW if you mean Olney, it's a visual reference point for navigation, so may have more than its fair share of traffic

I don' t think complaining about low flying aircraft while admitting to flying your drone close to aircraft is going to end well

If the aircraft were within 500 feet of you (in any direction) then they were acting illegally. However, outside of controlled airspace, they can fly at any height as long as they don't come within 500 feet of any person, vehicle or structure.

Could I ask how you judged the distance from you? It really isn't easy to do, even if you are fairly familiar with being in close proximity to light aircraft.

The bottom line is fly safely, keep a good lookout for conflicting traffic and land if you're in any doubt.

i have stop flying now ,but as far as i am aware there are no private airfield

They do not know i am there and i do not know there are there! ether

Because i live not far 5 miles away i have seen them over my house many times too especialy week end in good whether

I though the where not suppoce to fly so low unless they are landing or in trouble

How do i know if a plane or any other type of aircraft is coming behind me at say 80mhp i am up say 100m i would get much time to land would i as hard as i try

We often have low flying aircraft over our regular flying field and we are no where near any no fly zone. We just keep out of their way, which is why it is important (and a legal requirement) to have a spotter if you are flying FPV

Also there is no full size aircraft minimum height limit as long as they keep to the following

"The Civil Aviation Authority (CAA) permits, under paragraphs SERA.3105 and SERA.5005(f), an aircraft to fly at a height of less than 150 metres (500 feet) above the highest obstacle within a radius of 150 metres (500 feet) from the aircraft, subject to the condition set out in subparagraph (b). b) The aircraft must not be flown closer than 150 metres (500 feet) to any person, vessel, vehicle or structure except with the permission of the CAA."

it's a minimum of 1000ft above any built up area, town or settlement. There's quite a few other exceptions too.

Martin one time a hot air ballon not in trouble i belive from the northampton ballon festival was so low my kids were waving at the 3 people in the backet and i got the video to prove it before they fire up and up they went

The byplane in question i could see the reg quite clearly and the 2 man on board and once i waiwed the drop the wing i would say 150m tops in altitude

Frank i was with my son and just as well he see it coming told me by the time i started desending maybe 10m the he was gone

I am doing my best to be safe but i am no that quick to land if i was say 100m up with trees behind me and my spotter says plane coming i am stationary and the plane is doing 80 mhp he be gone before i could land

Our fixed wing model club flies in open, uncontrolled airspace and we often have military fast jets, helis and transports and civilian aircraft passing across our site including lots of microlights. All works well because we just keep clear. We have a large bright orange windsock which is up whenever we're flying and we just keep out of there way and they often keep out of ours. All works well.