Depron Aerobatic Model

Hiya.

As this model has now flown i thought i would do a quick build blog.

The first job was to design something that looked nice and that might fly.

Now as i have a 3D printer i thought i might use it to make the battery tray and hatch.

So i designed and printed out the whole nose section.

Tony B

Advert

the next job was to construct the rest of the fuselage and join it to the nose.

once i was happy with the fit i put the fuselage to one side and started work on the tailplane, the tailplane will be built into the fuselage

more to follow if anyone is interested.

Tony B

So once the tailplane was built i had to cut the slot in the fuselage core to enable it to be slotted in once the fuselage was ready.

the fuselage was sheeted with 3mm white Depron and all the servo wires were put in place before i sheeted it all (for a change).

then we could have a quick test fit to check every thing fitted ok

The fin and rudder were made using a 6mm depron core with 3mm balsa spars and then sheeted with 3mm foam.

the tailplane is built in exactly the same way.

it is a simple method that i use on all my models now.

Tony B

The wing cores were cut from 6mm Depon as were all the ribs.

The spars are made from 6mm Depron with a balsa skin top and bottom (thanks Simon) and are strong and light.

I used 3mm ply for the braces and glued them home with pu glue.

then i just had to fit the aileron servos and run the wires back to the centre section of the wing.

the wings were then sheeted with more 3mm foam and i could slot them into the fuselage.

looks a bit rough at this point mainly because nothing has been sanded down yet.

Tony B

once i was happy with the fit, the main wing was glued in place and the underside of the fuselage could be completed.

the motor/ esc and rx were then fitted.

the u/c legs were just clamped to the 3d printed former ( they have stood up to two landings so far)

then the fuselage was finished off and the wings blended in.

every thing was then covered in tissue and floor varnish and the painting could begin.

Tony B

Down at the field on sunday.

with heart in mouth i opened up the throttle and away we went.
smooth as silk.
no trimming needed, nice and smooth in flight, loops cleanly.
the rolls need tightening a touch but i feel if i up the aileron rates they will be quicker and cleaner.
landing was perfect, just floats in to land and touches down gently with a nice roll out.

the only issue i have is fitting it in the car. he he he

good job i only live a mile from the flying field.

need to find some one to take some flying pictures for me now.

Tony B

Tony, you may also find the lack of comment may be due to your use of Depron.

It is certainly a material that I do not use and can therefore make no useful comment on.

I do however watch with interest and awe at the fine craft that you fashion from foam.

It must feel a lonely place being so far in front of the mainstream.

Posted by Tony Bennett on 01/06/2017 17:28:41:

One bump and then i will let this build slide into obscurity. frown

It obviously does not float enough peoples boats. wink

I like the construction methods and do want to start scratching small electrics in Depron at some point, but for me whilst characterful the looks of this model are not to my taste. Just my opinion, but I think the wing would benefit from a bit more taper or maybe a Schumann style planform (would help both looks and performance) and the front of the fuse could be smoothed out with better integrated ventilation scoops. I do like the F86 style fin though!

well i thank you for your honest comments about my model.

yeah the wing is a bit too fat, but it flies ok and will do for now.

the air intakes are also air outlet at the back, so they have to stick out a bit more than i would have liked, they work well though.

i will throw this one around the sky as it is for now and have a redesign for the mk2.

thanks gents.

Tony B

I love the colour scheme and like the model. The wing to me is what I call a proper aerobatic wing. . I would like to see more of techniques in closeup too. Well done and let's see what Mk II comes out like. It'll be another winner I'm sure. John