July 2017 Issue

Andy48

The latest mag dropped through my door today. There's a problem with my review of the FrSky S6R stabilised receiver. Figure 2 has been cropped so an important element is missed.

For the two people who might have been interested, Figure 2 is reproduced in full below:

s8r config tool 5.jpg

Our editor young Ashers is super to work with and sends proofs out for us to check before publication. However, for some reason the pictures are always blurred and I tend not to look at them too carefully. Sorry folks! crying

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for info,

As the heading is generic to the Issue, I will add:-

Testing, Testing, ISTONE-A-PRO

Page 108 states that flying the plane under decent control in Auto Recovery mode is near impossible as it resists and that its only therefore "for the raw beginner".

AFAIK all the Auto Recovery or Panic modes work the same, They are supposed to be operated by either a push button or a momentary spring release switch. You operate it by holding it "on", but as soon as the model recovers attitude sufficiently YOU LET GO RAPIDO!!.

Also, it's not I think said that depending on HOW its going to have to recover, YOU need to control throttle (and so pitch with rotary). Maybe not quite so important with fixed rather than rotary wing, but important nevertheless!

Maurice, I agree with you 100%. Since the change in format I also find parts of the mag unreadable. I also renewed my subscription recently and am beginning to wonder if that was a mistake. The old format was fine. As the saying goes, something which is working well is never as good after its been improved!

Maurice, I have deleted your post as it breeches the CoC. You are clearly angry, but it is not acceptable to imply that the magazine editor is a lair (remember a considerable amount of feedback comes through channels other than this forum).

The magazine welcomes feedback - both positive and negative - but only if expressed in a reasonable and polite fashion. If you would like to repost your views in more measured terms we would happy to receive them.

BEB

It would appear that the new design has problems. Thankfully I don't have particularly bad eyesight but as just one example I find the first two pages of Clive Hall's article "Safe Arrival" very difficult to read.
​There have been many examples in the past where what was hailed as the epitome of good design by the professionals was less than well received by the general users. But then what do they know!
​Maurice made a good suggestion I think, run a poll and see how the general readership feels. The result should put the matter to bed once and for all.

Edited By Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator on 27/06/2017 11:13:21

When I wrote the editorial I'd had little but good feedback. Typically, after publication I've had some unhappy responses although the balance is still very much favours the refresh. Some responders said they didn't like the refresh but couldn't say why. Others have been typically rude but, as always, it seems some folks can't express themselves without resorting to insult.

We've listened to the feedback received and, in subsequent issue have made alterations to tweak the design. The new August issue (that's about to arrive) has some of those reflected.

Drop me an email if you've something you want me to hear, that's how most of the feedback comes in these days.

Be nice though, you don't have to be rude to be heard. wink 2

Like the June issue, I found the majority of the magazine very easy to read, with the text in a defined area in black on a white background. The first page of "Safe Arrival" is white text on agreen background, which personally I had no problem with, but perhaps best to keep all text as black on white, at the expense of "creativity" but to the benefit of clarity.

Such a minor matter, I can't imagine what was in the original post that had to be deleted!

We are constantly told that we have an ageing population.

RC Clubs and Associations I belong to (Five) all have a heavy age group bias towards post retirement.

So, are our magazines following that trend?

I have as a result of the above posts on the new format just done an "at the field" mini-survey. Asked a number of fellow club members innocently if they read RCM&E. Interestingly some said they didn't read any Mag now as they found them "difficult" to read.

But then, I was observer on a discussion twixt two members a while back as to what a model just landed on the patch was. They were both unable to read the name on the side, displayed in near if not actual number plate sized decals, and barely four metres from them.......................... and they drive on this planet.............................. funnily I was just thinking how ugly those really big letters were!

On Monday I was buddying someone, and when I landed the plane from its barely 200' cruise height, another member commented that the plane could benefit from better graphics as "it kept disappearing". It is underside white with broad black stripes, and has quite a bit of red on top.

Oh Dear Oh Dear.

David, after this experience and others I'd suggest Braille might be best, though TBH font size has recently drifted towards being a trifle minimal, esp in limited contrast.

In response to Dave Bran's earlier comment about the I-Stone gyro, the reason I made the comments I did in the review regarding the auto-levelling mode is that some gyros and flight controllers DO allow full control by the pilot in such modes. A good example is the Eagletree Vector which does a superb job in auto-levelling while allowing full control. So I thought it worth pointing out that this particular device did not!

Cheers,

Tim.

Edited By Tim Kearsley on 28/06/2017 13:27:57