The Spitfire - 70 years to the day

Tim Mackey

4th August 2008 sees the 70th anniversary of the first ever Spitfire going into service with the RAF at Duxford.

I wonder what marvellous shows and exhibits the government and others have lined up for us Spitfire lovers

I am lucky in that a private pilot has a rare two seater training version of this most gorgeous of all - EVER - piston powered iconic WW2 fighters, hangared a few miles away from our home. I never fail to rush out into the back every time I hear that gorgeous Merlin V12 growling in the distance as he heads off for another show somewhere, or maybe just doing his latest engine testing etc......very kindly often ensuring he passes right over our garden.

Why is it that I still get those little goose bumps every time

One of my remaining dreams / ambitions is to fly in her, and as I type, my good lady is already plotting a way for this to happen - only one real obstacle is getting in the way, time...and money

Advert

Timbo - forum moderator wrote (see)

Why is it that I still get those little goose bumps every time

Last Sunday we had the in-laws up for lunch, halfway through I heard that sound andn it took all of my self restraint not to run out into the garden to have a look. Through the window I saw two thirds of the BBMF cruise into the distance, my attention was returned to the room as my wife asked "are you cold"? Every hair on my arms was standing to attention!

Served a five year apprenticeship with Supermarine - the middle year was spent servicing and modifying Spitfires at a local airfield - even got to work on the engine squad (they let me clean the flakes of metal from the exhaust stubs) We had a two seat version that was used as a taxi to ferry VIPs about. The sound of a Merlin/Griffon engine is still the sweetest music to my ears. The Spitfire will always be the No.1 plane.

Hi you lot

It has to be the Spitfire. I live about 20 miles from the battle of britain flight and a couple of weeks ago I took my 7yr old granson to see it. It was his first trip, my 2or300th.As we were going on the conductored tour they ran the spitfire engine up. After 3 or 4 mins it was shut down and my grandson looked at me and asked why I was crying. I hadnt realized that tears were running down my face. I explained to him later on and I think he understood. Dont forget I am 73 yrs old and can remember when the battle of britain was on and believe you me you never forget

Garry