Magnum /O.S.

onetenor

Advert

Pretty sure they are a straight swap if memory serves but it wont take long to test fit on the bench . Parts were half the cost of OS and lasted well . The needle valve assembly was a straight swap but getting hard to find these days for Magnum or the OS probably only found on breakers or when we have a clear out .

OK E.D. I actually am having PROBS ungluing the throttle barrel. Can't get it too hot as I could melt the plastic lever. I haven't tried soaking in Methanol yet as I have to work on a lap tray.Any ideas ? I'm waiting for new hips so pretty immobile and seeking other ways to do things so any ideas welcome Re the needle valve assy I think there are some others that fit straight in or can be modded. No rush for one yet though.. I have both the O.S. and Magnum 40 s and have repairs to do to both. One is recasting half the exhaust mounting lug on the O.S. .Do you know the thread size in the lugs. Thanks for your response. John

Not 3m thread. Maybe 3.5 but haven't a means of testing at mo as I can't get to my shed for the tools. Re off the plastic lever .If I do there is nothing to turn or pull the barrel with .I have had it hot enough to recoil as soon as you touch it then sprayed with oil while hot but still no go. Soaking in meths no good either. Needs methanol but not on my lap thanks LOL

Most 40 sized threads are M3 OT, but to repair them I thread them out to M3.5, so maybe they were repaired before?

Try, if you will, operating the barrel with a wooden dowel in the venturi hole to free it off

And pull out the barrel with an M3 bolt screwed into the hole vacated by the throttle arm

Edited By Denis Watkins on 17/06/2017 15:33:17

Posted by onetenor on 17/06/2017 12:59:57:

Not 3m thread. Maybe 3.5 but haven't a means of testing at mo as I can't get to my shed for the tools. Re off the plastic lever .If I do there is nothing to turn or pull the barrel with .I have had it hot enough to recoil as soon as you touch it then sprayed with oil while hot but still no go. Soaking in meths no good either. Needs methanol but not on my lap thanks LOL

All the exhaust bolts on OS 40 FSR's are M3.5 so your assumption is correct.

Posted by TIM Shaw on 17/06/2017 22:21:53:

FSRs yes - but I thought we were talking about a FP here...

Well in over 40 years playing with OS engines and onerenor saying it was not 3mm possibly 3.5mm and the fact I have the M3.5 tap to clean damaged threads in not only FSR's it is a very good chance it is guess what M3.5.

Just trying to help.

Just to be sure I checked the two FP 35's I got in amongst a lot of other bits from the same guy so not new to me and they are both M3.5, there of course is a chance that earlier engines may have been 3mm such as a very early 40 FSR I have is M3. But given Onetenor's information there is a very good chance it is M3.5

OK Guys, maybe my bad.

I'm also trying to help. but my FP is indeed from 1986, and I remember the silencer bolts being smaller on that engine than they were on the later Magnum Pros, Thunder Tiger Pros and OS FXs I progressed to, which, as reported, were M3.5.

Nigel is quite right in that all the modern ones seem to be M3.5 so I might have it wrong.

It has happened before, ......

Actually Tim no one is really wrong there may well have been some in circulation like that hence why I went out and found the 35's to be sure, all the OS engines of that size that didn't have the strap on silencer that I have come across apart from the one FSR have had the 3.5's the same early FSR has a smaller carb too, which when I have something like 20 consisting of 40,45 & 50's OS did it their way changed it and the others picked the better bits to use!👍🏻 😜😎🤣

Thanks gents Inconclusive but useful. I'll get some 3.5Ms sent out .Re the NVA's Wheelspin do hate them. I thought they might. They are a good source for most things modelling.Re using a wooden dowel to manipulate the barrel how would I do that exactly? Just about to reheat with M3 bolt screwed in .Back later

That's funny didn't even need the heat just "Came apart in me 'ands Guv "Well whatever object achieved ans many thanks to everyone. I've said it before and say it again now .The people on these forae are knowledgeable and kind. both in giving this knowledge and in items gifted. I have been grateful for this on more than one occasion.I give what knowledge I can and will give what I can in goods.There is one problem though A kind soul donated 2 ltrs of ether for diesel fuel but it's in Blackburn area and T'm in North Wales and stuck indoors at the mo so can't collect.I put out a request for anyone to do me the favour but it seems nobody from up there passes near here so I'll have to wait till I'm mobile again. Well thanks to all once more . Cheers John O/T

OT, I will try again, the OS range you speak of in my possession are M3

all my spare small motor bolts are M3

Due to crash damage or overtightening, I have seen M3.5 threads tapped for the repair for obvious reasons

Justengines supply replacement silencers for 25 to 60s including OS types

and their bolts are either M3

or M4 for larger motors

Posted by Denis Watkins on 23/06/2017 21:23:37:

OT, I will try again, the OS range you speak of in my possession are M3

all my spare small motor bolts are M3

Due to crash damage or overtightening, I have seen M3.5 threads tapped for the repair for obvious reasons

Justengines supply replacement silencers for 25 to 60s including OS types

and their bolts are either M3

or M4 for larger motors

I've dug out the remnants of a wrecked OS32F heli engine that I got bundled in with a Concept heli 20 odd years ago (yes, I'm a hoarder of anything that might be vaguely useful!) and can add some support to Denis on this one - the silencer bolt through holes are 3.2 mm so the silencer MUST have used 3mm fixings unless OS used imperial/unified screws which I'm sure wasn't the case.

Interesting piston, BTW - it looks at first glance to have a Dykes ring but, as confirmed by filing the top of the rather pitted piston, it is an A(BC) type but with a thin groove of very little depth machined around the top.

Thanks all . I think the threads must have been tapped out The 3.5 mm tap ordered arrived as 3.0 mm So can't confirm.Vernier of the NVA thread is 3.95 mm.The "groove" is present on the 40 piston too. It actually looks as though the crown is a pressed in part. I just realised it is The magnum I'm referring to so hence the differing sizes though almost all the OS parts are a swap .Now having said that I just checked the O.S>. and it is the same in this regard so it too must be tapped O/size I'll just buy a new carb body ............... and some 3.5 mm bolts . Thanks again to all.

John O/T