Leicester sites?

Tony Kenny

Hi again,

Looking for an additional place for some occasional flying!

I'm a member of Bedworth & Burbage and we have a great field, but, for me it's a good 40 minutes to get there and until I take the club test, I can't fly on my own. Test expected real soon, but it's still a bit of a trip.

I've been up to Burrough Hill a couple of times, but again, it's a bit of a trip and then a trek up and down and very wind speed/direction dependant.

Our local park is a fair size and empty most of the time but I've only so far flown a tiny 18" park flyer there. As it's surrounded by huge trees, it can be quite turbulent and I'm concerned I might park anything bigger in the top of one of them. I'm also concerned that if a dog walker comes in on one of the footpaths, then I'd fail to keep the 50m separation and, as per the ANO, I'm not confident a flight with anything bigger could be made safely, if somebody were to appear. Not to mention little fido chewing the model if I landed!

Possibly my mini-switch trainer would be fine but I've not flown that yet so not sure if it's going to be a bit quick given the trees on the perimeter.

Are there any other fields or spaces where I'd be able to fly South of Leicester where I can turn up and fly. Ideally within 15 minutes from Oadby?

Edit: Leicester City bylaws are quite clear that RC aircraft may not be flown from council land. Lucky my area is outside City Council and is a separate Borrough

Thanks once again!

Edited By Tony Kenny on 21/06/2017 16:33:36

Hi Tony, you'll be lucky to find common land, but there is a sloping site near Gaydon. I think its part of the South Mids Soaring Assc. I'm not aware of any 'informal' sites in the Leicester area. Most are the obvious formal clubs.

I'll PM you with some more info if you're interested.

Cheers

Chris

Posted by Andy Symons - BMFA on 22/06/2017 14:32:14:
North East of Leicester and maybe a bit further than you want to travel but worth it for a full day of flying with excellent facilities.
http://nationalcentre.bmfa.org/

Thank you, I was pleased to see just how close the national centre is and I'll be sure to pop in at some ponit, but it's actually further away than our field. I have no real "problem" as such travelling to our field, but it's impossible to go in the evening as flying is only permitted until 7pm and I'd probably arrive about 7 if I wanted a quick flight in the evening.

What's the deal with flying NC? Is it included in membership? Do we pay more? I recall something in the mag this month about it but can't remember the details off the top of my head.

I'm looking for somewhere I can just nip out, have a couple of flights and be back home with an hour or so. Our local park is 'ideal' in that respect, but as I mentioned, I'm not confident that flights, with anything other than a micro park flyer, can be made safely.