Change of discipline

Steve Colman

Just for a change, and in addition to my RC hobby, I've decided to reacquaint myself with a form of modelling which kept me occupied for hours when I was in short trousers.

After some deliberation I decided these two would be suitable subjects for starters.

I'm not giving myself a time scale, they will be completed bit by bit as and when I fancy just for my enjoyment.

dc2.jpg

dc3.jpg

Edited By Steve Colman on 27/06/2017 16:16:28

Advert

Good choice as starters, the Revell 1/32 stuff is great value and build into some terrific models.

I have built all the 1/32 glider series and they really capture the sailplane look.

Be careful with the Cub and consider painting wings and fuselage separately before marrying them as you may save yourself some heartache.

I I'm a bit back to front so have done the "Plastic" but hanker after a flyable Corsair.

Here's my Tamiya 1/32 version.

20170115_214509.jpg

20170115_223040.jpg

Lovely, Josip!

I have a £40 IKEA display cabinet full of 1:72 WW2 warbirds. I started off by refurbishing the models I built in my youth (and recovered from my parents' attic), but then I got mission-creep and just had to buy more to fill in the gaps!

There's something ultra relaxing about being able to build while concentrating on appearance alone, and not having to worry about the weight of the glue, or the position of the CofG.

Edited By The Wright Stuff on 28/06/2017 09:25:32

It's good to know there are others making plastic kits along with their RC hobby. I guess, once a modeller, always a modeller. I've got a couple of vehicles to complete also so not to get bogged down on one subject.

All those models above look fantastic and it's going to take me some time to get up to speed and produce something half approaching a decent standard I think. It's probably about time that I bought myself airbrush too. I used to have a Pasche along with a basic compressor many years ago but haven't the faintest idea what happened to either. 

Andrew, I've thought about the diorama idea but fitting both the Cub and the Discus into one diorama will make it quite big. It would look pretty awesome though.

Edited By Steve Colman on 28/06/2017 13:03:07

Hi Steve,

An inexpensive airbrush is a great investment, the one I use was a £30.00 Ebay buy years ago. Have a look at this site for some tips as well the Military Modelling sister site to this one.

As you say once a modeller always a modeller. I also do cars, and various military vehicles, good fun in the winter when flying slows down. The Cub would look great with the Discus in tow but as you know the Discus has quite a span on it, maybe a ceiling display.

Here's a couple of pics of my Tamiya 1/32 Spit.

img_20170424_202803.jpg

img_20170424_202715.jpg

Almost completed the Duo Discus; the first plastic kit I've constructed for aprox 45-50 years!

I found the whole process very absorbing and satisfying although my eyesight isn't exactly 20/20 nowadays, making good light and a strong magnifying glass essential. Just a few details to finish off and then I'll take a few more photos.

duo discus 1.jpg

I think that plastic kit modelling is an excellent way of introducing youngsters into modelling/aviation and eventually R/C flying. I recently came across the Airfix range of quickbuild models at Duxford and was very impressed by the finished result that could be achieved without the mess of glue and paint on young hands. I'd say a bright five or six year old would find the thirty or so parts enough of a challenge to keep them engaged, with the reward of a neat model to finish up with. The kits are only £12.99 and made in the UK!yes

Agree with the Airfix comments, they produce some outstanding kits and are launching some more beauties later this year. As you say Cuban8 they have brought production back from India.

The discus is looking very good Steve and looks great with the motor out. If you use the nose decals, despite my nerves, they do apply very well indeed with a little care and a few drops of a decal softening solution.

Cockpit looks super with the blue belts..

John

Many thanks for the kind comments gents.

Devcon1, I'm not planning to add the nose decals, I prefer the simpler look. Andrew, I think the engine is a self sustainer as opposed to launch. So yes, the SC will come in handy.

A couple more pics just for fun and to give a sense of scale. Hope they're OK, they're the only figures I have and are actually intended for the next project. So, without further ado let me introduce you to.........

Pilot Pippa

duo discus 2 -  pilot.jpg

Mechanic Melanie

duo discus 3 - mechanic.jpg

Edited By Steve Colman on 06/07/2017 15:22:12