With what to cover an elegant but delicate form!

Naughty step, everyone whose first thought was diaphanous negligee!!

I am well on with building a Dumas Dragon Rapide and it is very nice kit of a lovely aeroplane. My question is as per the title, what do I cover it with. The airframe construction is very light with lots of 1/16 balsa so nothing too aggressive can be used. Don't fancy doped tissue because I'm not sure the present Mrs H would tolerate wall to wall pear drops for a couple of weeks and it is not the most durable finish. I've never used either but would litespan or solite be suitable? I'm going for the B E A Royal Mail scheme, predominantly silver with the fuselage white from the bottom of the Windows up and two maroon lines between the silver and the white. The finished aircraft, ready to fly should be about 14 ounces so the weight of the covering is definitely an issue and I'm thinking all over silver with the other colours airbrushed on. It is no way an indoor model but definitely at the very lightweight end of the spectrum. Your thoughts would be appreciated.

David

Advert

Centuries ago I used litespan to cover a Keil Kraft Ajax rubber powered job. After applying the Balsaloc to the structure with a piece of damp sponge and letting it dry, I found it quite satisfying applying the film. No pear drop smells too! Much stronger than tissue and can be ironed taught again if it suffers a bit of hanger rash. I have not used Solite but I expect that would be pretty good too. I once used Fibre film- never again, as I couldn't get it to shrink properly.

David, I have just finished building a Dumas Nieuport 28. I covered it with litespan dark green upper surfaces and cream underside. As it doesn't shrink too much the trick is to get it taut to start with then lightly shrink with an iron. I hand painted the five colour camouflage with acrylic paint. I also have the dragon rapide to build. the nieuport came out at less than 1 pound weight with electrics but no battery. mike

Edited By michael cawood on 06/07/2017 14:15:46

Thanks for the comments, chaps, and apologies for the delay in responding. We have been away for a few days in Norfolk. Anyone who suggests to SWMBO that a visit to a county with two (that I'm aware of) very well stocked model shops was anything other than the most fortuitous happenstance will be considered to have committed an act of treason!! Anyway Pegasus Models had silver litespan in stock and I really like the look of Michael's Nieuport so I'm going to try it. I'll let you know how I get on and, if I can work out how, I'll add a couple of photos.

David

Hello David .Have yo used Litespan before ? I dont want teach you to suck eggs . If not be aware that it has a grain and shrinks more one way than the other. You can just make out the lines or grain they run across the widest part of the sheet. The panels you cut should have the grain lenghtways along a panel . Another lesson I have picked up over the years is dont use Balsa Loc adhesive, IMO its rubbish. Solarlac Clearcoat works well as an adhesive but does smell. Deluxe mataerials also make covergrip that is far better than balsaloc and is water based.

Timely advice, E D, thanks. I have not used Litespan before so a bit of egg sucking tuition will not go amiss. I did notice that it tears much more easily one way (along the grain?) than the other. I was going to use Balsaloc but I shall immediately go to the Deluxe Materials website and order some Covergrip.

David

David, one other thing I did was to put in 1/32" ribs between the kit ribs, back from the spar to trailing edge, to stop the Litespan from sagging between the ribs. I only did it on the top wing after covering the lower wing and noticing the sag. mike

Edited By michael cawood on 13/07/2017 14:32:59

Thanks for the heads up, Michael. The Rapide wings are quite high aspect ratio and even at the root the trailing edge, aileron spar and main spar are not far apart. There are two spanwise stringers between leading edge and main spar so I don't anticipate a problem with the covering sagging. I will make up a dummy section of wing and try covering before I commit. I have cut the slots and trial fitted the control surface hinges tonight and the supplied furry mylar hinges are quite stiff. I am paranoid about weight and want to use the lightest servos I can. I don't fancy thread hinges or Blenderm on aesthetic grounds but want something a bit more flexible. Any ideas?

David

David, no sorry I used blenderm tape top hinged with a 30 degree chamfer then bent back and bottom tape to create a hinge, servos were 4.2g 0,9 kg/cm digitals on ailerons and 9g analogue on elevator and rudder, by the way make sure to use the same side on the litespan, I always use the outside ie not the backing side as there is a definite colour difference.   mike

Edited By michael cawood on 13/07/2017 22:24:26

• 2 months later...

Well, the Rapide has flown. I warn you that I have discovered how to add pictures so nothing is now safe.p1000802.jpg

First, the bare bones. I tried Litespan on a balsa test panel and could not really get on with it, the shrinkage is very limited and the CoverGrip seemed to raise the wood grain and show through the covering. SoLite, one the other hand is "luverly" to use (I am not a shareholder in Solarfilm!). It sticks like s....... and the overlaps all but disappear. It is a little translucent but I used silver and white and gave the covered model a wipe with Prymol and airbrushed Humbrol silver and matt white with a light coat of rattle can clear lacquer before applying the lettering.p1010160.jpg

Great day for flying today so the maiden was bowled over. She flies beautifully, very gentle responses and not at all "tippy" inspite of those tapered wings. I am using Robotbirds 10gm motors with slightly cut down counter rotating 7x6 props and a 1200mah 2s lipo and the ready to go weight is 14ozs. She is a little underpowered, probably about 70 watts when the lipos are at 8.4 volts straight off the charger, which is fine, but once the voltage drops to 7.4v she needs full throttle in the turns to maintain height and there is little margin for error. I think I shall try a 3s lipo and 6x4 props next time. The choice of prop sizes for pushers is quite limited.p1010165.jpg

All in all a delightful kit to build, Dumas and particularly Pat Tritle have done a fine job and the Rapide does look absolutely gorgeous in the air.p1000814.jpg

Above is my home brewed Turbulent, first attempt at building with Depron. Took a bit of "developement" to get it to fly comfortably but got there in the end.

Finished rambling now, got 16 lipos to charge after a great days flying. Told you nothing is safe now, holiday snaps coming next!!!

David