A Depron Sea Vixen.FAW2

An initial bit of the underside painted.

Paint 1

Really a bit of an experiment to explore what sort of surface finish can be achieved and how heavy it is likely to be using Scola water based (foam safe) acrylic paint.

The white Depron underside of the wings only need one coat but the planked fuselage areas really need 2 or maybe 3 with each well sanded to hide the plank edges.

So far so good.

Advert

Painting is going very slowly largely due to the need to let each coat dry hard before attempting to sand out the imperfections but its getting there slowly.

Paint 2

The reason the outer panels have not yet been painted is I have identified a bit of a problem - one wing has a couple of degrees incidence than the other! smile o

I thought I was very careful when I glued it all together but obviously not. sad

It looks a bit more than I could reasonably expect to 'twist out' so I fear a wing outboard of the boom is going to have to be cut off and re fixed or possibly both as it would reduce the degree of 'adjustment' required.

Still thinking about the best way of doing it. wink 2

Edited By Simon Chaddock on 21/08/2017 22:57:28

After much thinking I think i have successfully 'cured' the wing incidence problem.

By completely cutting about 40% (from the tailing edge) of the RH wing just out board of the boom I was able to lift the trailing edge by 2 mm which in effect 'twisted' the whole wing thus reducing its incidence. The wing skin was simply then glued into its new position. Painting started on the outer panels.

Wing adjust 1

As the majority of the strength of a monocoque wing is generated by the first 60 % of the wing chord this 'surgery' does not appear to have weakened it significantly.

Hopefully any residual unequal lift will now be within the capability of the ailerons for the maiden and can be subsequently overcome by judicious local wing twisting and the application of a bit of heat.wink 2

At last the battery has arrived so with a bit judgment and guess work this is about the required position.

Batt position 1

A bit further forward than I had imagined.

The intention will be use the radar operators "coal hole" as the battery hatch with the battery inserted and slid forward into a box built into the nose.

Well that's the plan!

According to the weatherman today Saturday was going to be ideal for a maiden so I rushed to complete the Sea Vixen enough to fly.

Complete top

Any further detail can wait!

I took this picture a 9:30 am just before leaving for the field in case it might never look like that again ans i was not far wrong! wink 2

The first flight lasted no more than 2 seconds. It just rolled over into he ground. This was the result. Nose severely crushed  - the picture is after it was pulled back into shape!.

Nose crush

The nose of the LH pinion tank was broken off.

Pnion off

It was a school boy error. I had to reverse the aileron servo but I forgot to reverse the gyro as well! smile o

So with a bit of fiddling with the Tx and struggling to actually see (no glasses) the tiny dip switch on the Rx it actually flew quite well despite the damage.

Video next time.

Edited By Simon Chaddock on 02/09/2017 19:01:10

Colin

I did not actually measure the CofG but simply set it to where it 'felt right' in my hand!

With the intake at the front and a fairing at the rear the true root chord is rather hard to measure but the red line shows where the CofG currently is.

CofG

If leading and trailing edges are extended to the fuselage center line it looks like the CofG would be quite close to 50% chord.

• 2 years later...

There is a bit more to this story.

Although I had 'tweeked' the wing to balance the wing incidence L to R before it was finished in fact there was some still present. The second flight in the video above required virtually full aileron trim to keep 'wings level'. In such a configuration I feared any flight close to the stall would at best be interesting or at worst result in a serious crash.

I could easily see the problem, the geometry of the inlet duct was different! smile o To correct it was going to require some pretty major surgery. I just did not have the heart to cut up a just finished model so it was left hanging on the wall 'for later'. wink 2

'Later' actually arrived after nearly 2 years - June 2019!

The major surgery required the left wing to be cut completely off just inside the left boom. A narrow 'slice' cut out of the bottom surface of the LH inlet duct and it all reassembled with much masking tape to hold it all in the correct position until the glue set.

One advantage of thin Depron is that when a structure is 'bent' into shape over time it permanently deforms so virtually eliminating any residual stresses.

It now flies quite well and even better when you remember to switch the 'stab' on! wink 2 You can hear the 'click' at 0:17!

Still really only a 'fair weather' flyer but it looks the part and makes a rather satisfying 'whine'.