Portable workshop Survey

Lux Ray

I am doing a survey to find information from the modelling community about things such as what tools are used build models with.

I want to gather this information so I can research it to get ideas for a portable workshop/field repair kit product that I am currently designing.

Link to the survey - https://lux19.typeform.com/to/we5Xqq

I have made a few models in the past myself (Guillow ones) but just want to gather further information that could help me in my designing of this product. The survey is six questions longs and shouldn't take too long to do. Thanks

Advert

The only field repairs I've done are replacing UC clamps and the odd bit of cyano repair. I did once use some 30 min epoxy on some wing locating studs that were loose and occasionally I've taken a tank out. Wheel collets can often be a problem if flats aren't correct.

The biggest issue can often be the smallest, like a fuel leak, flat receiver, starter or glow stick battery or the cold weather in winter.

It really depends on the model, the time of year, the length of the flying session and the number of models you've taken out that day. Usually I take 3 or 4 and if one goes US then I fly the others and fix the problem at home.

Edited By ChrisB on 16/07/2017 21:20:01

Lux Ray

I tried to fill in your survey but I found your questions too generalised. For example, lots of modellers will have hundreds of different tools depending on the types of models they build and the tasks they are completing. I think you need to be more specific about the sort of market and models you are aiming to cater to.

Like others I try to avoid repairs and working on models at the flying field or away from the workshop.

Thank you for the replies, wasn't sure how I should of ask the questions in the survey but your replies here were helpful in giving me more of an idea of how people would deal with this type of situation. Thanks for the help.

one the survey, obviously i.c. modellers will have different needs to electric.

I doubt if anyone does repairs on the field but gluinh a loose tailplane back down with epoxy is reasonable.

In the old days of free flight a few bits of scrap balsa and balsa cement came in handy very often. You could do avery quick and effetive repair of torn tissue with balsa cement.

Peronally I have reduced my field kit down and down to save weight.