Cruiser flight problem

Paul Webb 3

I am new to this site but not new to flying aircraft which i have been doing for over 50 years.
Built and flew Atom a couple of years ago with some success, so thought I would try the Cruiser. Build went together nicely, set all the correct angles for left head tilt and left engine thrust, blade plate at +5degrees incidence and set hang angle at -17 degrees because this worked ok on the Atom.
Maiden flight went well except for the permanent tail down attitude at mid or low throttle. Changed the blade plate incidence to +3 instead of +5 but this made no difference to the tail hang problem. I did notice that the blades made according to the plan had a wider chord than the Atom and Richards cruiser photo's in RCM&E, is this creating more lift? if anyone can suggest a solution to the tail hang problem i would be very grateful. Paul

Denis,

Cruiser was a free pull out plan a few years ago, here is a photo of my enlarged version which I have been using as a test bed for a two blade set up with suprisingly good results over the last month or two.

fb_20170719_22_19_43_saved_picture.jpg

Paul,

Welcome to the forum, what you are explaining could be a number of things. But, if you have stuck to the plan and all angles and dangles are correct it has to be the blades as this is really the only thing that could differ. My thoughts are the same as Steve's, try adding a small amount of shim to the blades. It sounds like you are getting too much lift and when you get to a certain power level the down thrust is over coming the drag/ lift from the blades.

The extra shim will kill a bit of lift from the blades which will bring the nose back in tow. I would had slithers of tape and test inbetween until you hit the sweet spot. If you have experience on the Atom then the Crusier will cause you no problems once set up, its my favourite flying autogyro to date.

Let us know how it goes?

Rich

Edited By Richard Harris on 19/07/2017 22:45:36