NEW 50" Hawk (90mm fan) RCME Special

When i did the small 42" Hawk a few years ago for a 70mm fan, quite a few of you guys said a slightly bigger version for a 90mm fan would be a welcome addition.....well its only taken me two years to get round to enlarging and building a 50" span version but this afternoon I finally got to fly the prototype and i wasn't disappointed with the results....it few an absolute treat!!!laugh

The scale has gone from 1:9th to 1:8th so an enlargement of 20% or so. The weight has risen from 6lbs to 8.5lbs at the moment the wing loading is slightly more at 43oz/sq'

I used an 8s HobbyKing 90mm fan with a stated thrust of 4kg, a 120amp controller and a Nano Tech 4500mah 8S pack .....cruised nicely around on half throttle.

img_4783.jpg

img_4784.jpg

img_4785.jpg

img_4787.jpg

Nice one Tony, I have two of those fans but have not got to firing them up yet but it sounds like they are up to the job.

I will interested to see how the vertical is on the model I might just have to build one when you make it available after I have cleared the decks that is.

Edited By Nigel Dell on 29/07/2017 17:26:32

• 2 weeks later...

Tony, you may have read elsewhere on this forum that I have started a 90mm version of your original 70mm edf Hawk. I did not find out until today that you have already done one. I see that you are using a YEP 120A ESC. I have just got one and it went up in smoke at just 20A with a Dr. Madthrust 10S fan on 5S for testing purposes.

I would really appreciate it if you could give me the basic settings which you use such as timing, start up power etc. in case I got something horribly wrong, which I do not think I did. HK have sent me a new one which I shall receive soon and do not wish to blow it up if I was doing something silly.

My version is yours +28% all round giving a span of 53.75". Any chance of me getting one of your canopies at the Nats because it would be near enough in size?

Martin

Hi Martin.....Do you have the YEP programming board.....It is a must as the YEP is set up for Helicopters as a default so this has to change.....and a few other things too. They are pretty strong ESCs so if yours has failed, it is most likely a fault rather than a programming issue.

I'll be at the NAT with the new 50" Hawk and we will have VAC sets which should fit yours ok.....

Thanks for your reply Tony.

The replacement arrived quickly and I went back through the programming card sequences to ensure that I had done nothing wrong. It has been tested on 10S and is fine though the power is lower than stated as expected. The 4mm wattmeter connectors did not help and with it removed from circuit there was a noticeable increase. Should get at least 3.5kW.

I shall see you at the Nats.

• 1 month later...

For those of you considering building Tony's Hawk . I have an unopened 12 blade 90 mm Dr Mad Thrust Fan for sale that I bought from HK (presale - approx four months ago!).

Specs are 1000KV , Max Power 3500W's on 8s Lipo , 3200W continuous ,110 Amps., Max thrust 4.6kg. This cost me approx £105 plus postage at the time. I'll accept £75 plus P/P. Please PM if this of interest.

Edited By Tomtom39 on 06/10/2017 12:39:23

I think the kv on the one I have is lower ie 1000KV. Quoted thrust is 4.6kg . Think its about .1kg more than the one Tony has . The spec I have quoted was from the original DR Mad Thrust ad. Best ask Tony for advice.

I decided not to use the DR MAD unit as I had the opportunity to buy a Schubeler HDS unit for the right money.(Quality of this is just amazing - but a bit more money)

Schubeler are a lovely fan unit but pricy.....like most thing in life you get what you pay for....

By the way, David Ashby has posted some video footage of the hawk on the home page so please take a look

The footage was taken on a dry summers day at Headcorn...now the ground is softer, wetter and the grass longer, I'm having to use half flap to get her off the strip now..... soon have to pack her away for the winter....ho hum...

• 4 weeks later...

Tony,I am planning to build one of your new larger Hawks, I have purchased a Chain sun 12 blade , 90 mm fan which gives 3 kilo,s of waft on 6 s , not certain if fitting retracts at the moment, trying to go the light build option and bungy off, I have a substantial bungy which should cope, but I will make the retracts as a later option if needed. My question is you said that you used a YEP speedo. I have one of these, and have run the fan up on just 4s and low speed just to check it works, but you said that this speedo. is primarily a helicopter speedo. and you had to make some alterations to the set up via the programming card, I am certain that I will not be the only builder using this speedo, so, could you list the alterations that you made for the best settings for an edf set uo ? by the way my Vulcan is still putting in superb flights and its now 2 years old regards Geoff.