Radio decisions, stick with 35mhz or go to 2.4Ghz??

Posted by Frank Skilbeck on 21/10/2017 12:25:49:

Several fliers at our club still on 35 mhz, and I've just rejoined them, having a few 35 mhz receivers I thought why not, so new battery for my 35 mhx MPX Cockpit Sx and my Flair D7 with Laser 61 flew just great with a MPX IPD Rx. Even better I've got the short 35 mhz aerial so don't have to worry about extending it.

I fitted a FrSky hack module to my 35Mhz Cockpit Sx & a switch to be able select either 2.4Ghz or 35Mhz at will.
Mainly use the Tx for vintage models or indoor types & I also keep a spare 35Mhz Rx handy for bench testing new electric motors etc. With synth Rx's it allows complete flexibility on 35Mhz plus the advantages of 2.4Ghz excluding full telemetry.

Advert

Posted by PatMc on 21/10/2017 20:41:43:

I fitted a FrSky hack module to my 35Mhz Cockpit Sx & a switch to be able select either 2.4Ghz or 35Mhz at will.
Mainly use the Tx for vintage models or indoor types & I also keep a spare 35Mhz Rx handy for bench testing new electric motors etc. With synth Rx's it allows complete flexibility on 35Mhz plus the advantages of 2.4Ghz excluding full telemetry.

I made an external one with the Mk1 Frsky DIY module, protocol no longer works with later Rxs, it was OK but would occasionally glitch on channel 7, don't use it much these days.

I did the same with my Multiplex 3030, Frank. I haven't used it since I bought a Taranis but I'll keep the transmitter to use on 35 Mhz with the Multiplex IPD receivers I still have. I just plugged my Frsky conversion into the DIN charge/buddy socket and it attaches to the 35Mhz antenna socket quite neatly (that's just a support btw - it doesn't use the 35Mhz antenna itself.)

I hadn't thought about its not working with later receivers but it doesn't matter as it served its purpose and won't ever be used again.

Geoff

Posted by Percy Verance on 21/10/2017 20:32:12:

Both aerials remained in place, as did the 35mhz module, and a switch on the module meant you could revert to 35mhz simply and easily......

To explain this a bit further: MPX has for decades used a system whereby connecting two pins on the DIN-socket shuts down the HF part of the transmitter. The main use of this is Trainer-Student operation, the plug at the student end of the umbilical cord would have those two pins shorted. The Hfmx module employs this by using the on/off switch of the module at the same time to connect and disconnect these same two pins, i.e module on = transmitter HF off and vice versa.

Max.

Edited By Max Z on 22/10/2017 08:52:55

Edited By Max Z on 22/10/2017 08:53:54