Radio decisions, stick with 35mhz or go to 2.4Ghz??

Advert

Paul, don't get panicked. Get your kit repaired/replace transmitter. Get some flying skills back. Take your time to find out what suits you, not what suits someone else. 10 flyers equals 12 different opinions, and loudest is not always the best.

Had an email back from Mike Ridley to say that he can help out with a new pot so will give that a try. In fairness the radio does all that I need and has Expo and DR on aileron, rudder and elevator, with a channel for flaps if required.

Haven't written off the idea of the FrSky as it does look interesting and fairly intuitive to set up for basic models.

Thanks for all the input folks!!!

I am also a 35Mhz user on my older models.

If your RX are PCM then they are almost as good as 2.4.

FM RX are more susceptible to glitches, and not really good enough for electric models. However some are better than others.

The benefit of this is that I keep on being given more 35Mhz rx's!

The big challenge is remembering to extend the TX aerial before flight. I always partly extend it before startup, as a reminder.

On 2.4 I am using FRSky rx with Futaba TX. I have never had a problem with this setup, unlike the other make I had earlier.

In my experience most radio problems (with better quality manufacturers) are caused by the RX battery followed by the switch and harness and wiring, and then by broken aerials. Maintain these and the rest goes on for ever.

Personally, I still use 35MHz with my older models as got several fully equipped and still use my FF8, but have switched to 2.GHz this year with my new models now and going forwards using Spektrum. There are a number of things I do like with the new gear but equally some things I like about the old Futaba (a bit like a comfy pair of old slippers) after many years of good reliable use.

There are other considerations that haven't been mentioned.

Firstly, your age and the number of years of active flying that you have left. If you're "elderly" (like me!), you could probably keep using 35 until you can no longer fly. On the other hand, if you're less than say 60 y.o., you'll probably have to change some time, if only for reasons of availability ...

Secondly, the types of model that you fly. If you like small or lightweight models, then 2.4 flight packs are usually smaller and lighter than 35 gear, and a 2.4 flight pack can be very light indeed.

I bought a model RTF, complete with 2.4 GHz radio about 5 years ago. That was my first experience with 2.4, and I've never used 35 gear since! There are just so many little points that are far more convenient with 2.4 GHz.

I have just started flying again after a break and using 35mhz at present ( Twin Star as Red Eagle) no problems but have decided to move towards 2.4 max as I had bought the module for Hitec 6 some years back...baptism of fire trying to get Tx and Rx to talk to each other.....see thread ....lol but decided of flying I/c models I needed more peace of mind.

Edited By Mike Stevens on 02/08/2017 19:33:59

Posted by Percy Verance on 02/08/2017 21:52:45:

Purely out of curiosity Paul, were you aware of Mike Ridley prior to this thread?

Edited By Percy Verance on 02/08/2017 21:53:35

No Percy, I got in contact with Mike due to the helpful advice given on this thread.

Edited By Paul james 8 on 02/08/2017 22:17:56

• 2 months later...

Just a quick update on the 35mhz situation........

I've stuck with it and acquired a few more receivers, both single and dual band and have them fitted to a growing fleet of models, mostly from the Flair Scout series.

No major problems to report as a result of any radio failures to date, one pot failed in the transmitter but I was able to get a replacement quickly and sort that out.

I have a couple of Flair D7's Frank, one has the old OS80 with rear pushrods which flies beautifully, the other has a 90 size of some sort, haven't got round to refurbishing that yet but they are both on 35mhz

Also two Pups, two Magnatillas and the most recent addition an SE5A A new Magnatilla kit in the box for the grandsons Chritsmas pressie as well, they make as good an aileron trainer as you'll get I reckon!

The Flair/CMP Sukhoi came out pretty well too!

Posted by Percy Verance on 21/10/2017 14:05:17:

You retain full 35mhz capability too, at the flick of a switch. No aerials to remove, nor anything to disconnect. Just switch over to 2.4, or back again to 35 in a second. Best of both worlds.

Is that a feature of the software, Percy, or have you had some internal wiring mods to achieve this?

Other makes of modular tx are available - e.g. JR, Futaba and Hitec. I have both JR and Futaba, but keep one for 35MHz as I don't like swapping modules around (I understand the pins/sockets are not intended for 'cycling.'

Re Channel Check - impressive. Even more so if it stopped you from being shot down (but I don't believe it did...)

Edited By Mike T on 21/10/2017 15:53:42