Chilli Breeze electric

Advert

Adrian, Stuart

A couple of details on my dads setup. The electrics are all Overlander kit:

• 3548/05 motor (I think)
  • 4S battery (don't know capacity for certain, but I'd expect around 4000mAh)
  • 11x8 APCE turning 10k
  • 60A ESC
  • Just under 700W total system power.
  • Separate 4.8V RX batt.

Model weight is around 4 1/4 lbs. He says it has "plenty of vertical" - at that weight I'm inclined to believe it. I'm fairly sure the fuselage structure was thinned down a bit to suit electric, and the firewall re-positioned for the outrunner mount. It uses a standard kind of battery tray and top hatch setup; a big hole behind the wing, and a small scoop on cowl. The wing is a built up fully sheeted type inherited from the previous IC build. He's quite a light builder.

Edited By Nigel R on 21/08/2017 11:13:12

Nigel - is that spec for a Chilli Breeze (48 inch) or the Chilli Wind ( 58 inch) ?

At the moment I am planning to build a new Chilli Wind fuselage for electric to suit the existing wing and tailplane I have so any info relevant to the larger model will be of interest to me.

Thanks Nigel. The wing and tailplane I have are very light so a 4 pound all up weight 58 inch Chilli Wind seems probable

For Adrian or anyone considering converting an ic model to electric I suggest a 'lash up' of the proposed motor & lipo to see where the CG will come. A bit of ply and a few rubber bands holding motor & lipo in relative position may save hacking the model around too much. Even though the electric motor & lipo weigh about the same as a glow engine the weight distribution is very different - the glow has the heavy bearings right forward while the main weight of the lipo comes a long way further back. Therefore to avoid using lead ballast the electric motor may need a new bulkhead nearer the front & the lipo probably needs to go through the original firewall - an experiment will tell.

Edited By kc on 21/08/2017 13:33:38

FWIW he's also flying another Mike Delacole design, Rival, a Wot 4 style hack, with an identical setup.

There's undoubtedly a ton of other combos that would do the job, this one seems a close replacement for a 40 in terms of prop size & revs.

Edited By Nigel R on 21/08/2017 15:16:58

• 4 months later...

Hi Guys, in the process of sorting my old chilli breeze out, but i do not have the plans and I need to know the C of G please if someone would be kind enough to post the figures for me that would be great.

Mine has a Mega Motor 22/30/2 fitted and yet to fly it ( did try it with that motor and a 4s 3200 lipo and 80amp esc) but didnt check amp draw etc before flight and killed the esc. Think it was turning a 14x4 apc so I think that perhaps is what killed the esc.

I am thinking of a smaller 9 / 10" prop next time and I will check with a watt meter this time too!

Thank you

This Forum is great. I started this post and it has amazed me me with the amount of interest and how many modeller have built and flown this wonderful aircraft. As a point of interest, I moved the undercarriage as in earlier posts but have enjoyed flying with the original Irvine 36 so much, I have yet to convert to electric. I am of a mind to build another for electric flight, as your posts with modifications for electric flight make it a better betas my IC version has a foam wing and a built up wing in my mind would be better. Happy New Year to all. SM.

• 8 months later...

Nigel/Adrian

thanks for the responses,

I've started a CW 1:1 size build at the moment opted to go for a built up wing and tail instead of the foam type on the plan. I've an unfunded Irvine 53 ready and a set of HK electric retracts just begging for a home

The wings and tail are just about to ready to join and then it's on with the fuselage

If this lives up to its reputation there might just be a Chilli Gale to follow

CW would look great with the gear tucked up and away yes

I'd think about some kind of flap for the big one. It's a slippery design and can easily float on a bit come landing time. I'm considering doing a retro fit flap on mine at some stage. And if you're going to the effort of a 30cc size build then it'd be much easier to get them in to start with...

On the plus side it will slow up nicely with some up held in, providing you give it the necessary space.

My Chilli Breeze had a built up wing although when I built the Chilli Wind I had some foam wing panels made for me. This was purely because at that time all those years ago I didn't trust myself to get them true. The slightly extra weight penalty didn't seem matter as she was, as Nigel says, quite a slippery bird! I think I may have started with the old OS 40FP up front with the CW, but the old memory might be wrong.

gents,

must admit, I hadn't thought about flaps. This might seem a bit daft but I've elected to go for individual aileron servo's could these be set up as flapperons negating the need for dedicated flaps or is there a reason flaps always seem to be a separate control surface inboard of the ailerons